Beautiful Languages vs. Beutiful Code [was Re: Forward Declarations [was Re: How to define "modular" code? [rather long] ]]

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 22, 2002
      On 21 Apr 2002, Oleg Goldshmidt wrote:

      > (let ((subj off-topic))
      > (quote (list
      >
      > > I'm a bit tired of this sig.
      >
      > And I have no time to change it. I'll try. Bear with me.
      >
      > > I remember having written beuatiful code
      >
      > The quote is about a beautiful language, not beatiful code.

      So how do you a define a beautiful language? If:

      1. It is possible to write a beautiful code in a non-beautiful language.
      2. It is possible to write non-beautiful code in a beautiful language.

      So, I think declaring languages to be beautiful is a meaningless
      statement. And, AFAIC, there are other languages beside LISP which are
      beautiful.

      > > And LISP can get a bit messy when using ugly macro tricks
      >
      > Huh? Use macros to make code beatiful, not ugly. Can it be that it
      > is a C programmer speaking, C macros being such a blunt and
      > fundamentally broken (side effects!) tool?

      LISP Macros can also have side-effects, because you can put everything in
      a macro. However, I've seen a lot of LISP code that used various eval's, `
      and , and @ and all kind of other stuff that made it horrid and very hard
      to understand. And naturally, LISP does not preclude one from writing
      other types of bad code.

      > )))

      Just to confuse the interpreter: ((((