DMCA Abuses List [was Re: Re: (ot) DMCA, SSSCA/CBDTPA related laws in Israel? ]

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 6, 2002
      On Sun, 7 Apr 2002, Arik Baratz wrote:

      > Nadav Har'El wrote:
      >
      > >But note that a law, even if not applied, is dangerous, because it *can*
      > >be applied, whenever the goverment feels like it. For example, the DMCA has
      > >probably been applied only a handful of times (I only know of two cases),
      > >but the problem is the things that it makes people *afraid* to do.
      > >
      > Ooh, there are so many more cases. Like the google/scientology case.
      > Just browse www.eff.org.

      Check:

      http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/DMCA/Gallery/index.html

      For a partial, but growing, list.

      But what is more important is it makes people afraid. Good people. Noble
      people. And when people are afraid, they are willing to compromise their
      freedom.

      A will for freedom is useless without fearlessness that is required to
      protect it. To some extent, I am guilty of it too. I used to have a DeCSS
      mirror on t2.technion.ac.il (the server that I use as I speak), and
      I removed it. I wrote DeCSS for JavaScript (with some help from Chen),
      but again did not place it on Technion computers. Naturally, I did not
      want to drag the Technion Students' computer into this mess, and did not
      hide my identity in any way. But, nonetheless, my sense of
      "responsibility" to the Technion, preceded my fearlessness.

      Why when it was obvious that the War of Lebanon was up to no good, did not
      all the IDF's generals (Alufim) told the press that they would quit if the
      IDF does not withdraw from Lebanon immidiately? This is not a political
      post in any way, I'm just asking why, because obviously some of them
      thought that staying in Lebanon was a big mistake.

      Let's take an even "greater" extreme - the Nazi party. Do you think the
      Nazis thought it was a good and moral idea to massacare the European Jews?
      As racist as they were they still retained their senses. But they feared?
      Who did they fear? Each other. Even Hitler thought people would consider
      him a loser if he did not materialize his promise to eliminate the Jews.
      Plain and simple.

      There's a very nice quote I encountered about how all the political regime
      will lose power if everybody just say no. But the problem is that
      everybody is afraid what everybody else thinks or will think about it,
      that they are afraid to say no.