RE: [hackers-il] Google.com ordered the relevant WWW::Search to b e removed from CPAN

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 11, 2002
      I believe that the section in Google's TOS should not be taken literally.

      Google make half their money from people who set up commercial links. These
      links are metered by the number of times they were requested. If the idiot
      who plays googlewhacking with a script (which is IMHO not only violates
      Google's TOS but also unfair googlewhacking) has his way, all those
      companies who put commercial links will have their eyeball-counters
      increased without an actual person viewing the link.

      That's why I believe they do not agree to the perl module as well - if you
      use the perl module to write a search engine and you don't show those
      commercial links to the actual end user you are reducing Google's income
      from companies.

      Myself - I run webwasher, and remove banner-ads and pop-ups, which hurts the
      sites I visit because they don't get my eyeball counted towards their hit
      count as far as the advertiser is concerned. While I don't mind seeing the
      banner ad now and then, I do it because of the pop-up ad, which IMHO is
      illegitimate internet practice. Not even talking about the flash ads that
      make a nasty sound when you hover above them with your mouse by mistake
      (KAMA? HAMISHIM MILION!). In the old days of the internet there was an
      argument about the <BLINK> tag. It was annoying because it was blinking a
      line of text...

      -- Arik