Re: [hackers-il] Google.com ordered the relevant WWW::Search to be removed from CPAN

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 11 9:39 AM
      Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> writes:

      > Use Perl reports that Google ordered the WWW::Search::Google module to be
      > removed from CPAN, because it violated their terms of use:
      >

      > http://use.perl.org/article.pl?sid=02/03/01/1641208&mode=thread&tid=32

      It is not clear to me without actually going to the code what this
      module does. An "automated" search in Google (or other seach engine)
      can be done by simply constructing the proper URL and invoking a web
      browser. Is that what it does?

      Let me explain why I am interested.

      A few years ago I hacked a simple x?emacs interface to search with
      several engines including Google - it can search for a string, a word
      at point, an active region, or any X selection (not just in emacs). I
      found it very useful because it allows me to mark (with the mouse),
      e.g. an error message or something I see in an email etc, and search
      the web for it with one keystroke.

      I never published it (it's a hack, not a finished product). From time
      to time I toy with the idea to post it on gnu.emacs.sources, but I
      have no time to make it a bit more presentable. If anyone here is
      interested in the rough edges, let me know.

      Now, was I (inadvertently) wise? Does this violate Google's (and
      possibly others') TOS?

      --
      Oleg Goldshmidt | ogoldshmidt@...
      [Lisp] is the only computer language that is beautiful.