RE: [hackers-il] A Perl one-liner explained [was RE: You know you 've been hacking Perl too long when. ..]

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4, 2002
      > Naturally, I'm not going to list all computer languages here. But the
      > conclusion is clear: we should use strictly ANSI C from now on.

      Oh no!
      Usually languages don't matter that much, and some ideas are better
      expressed in their native language (like you mentioned about design
      patterns).

      I say that multi-lingualism should be encourged.

      Once apon the time, we suggested a series of lectures about obscure
      programming languages.
      Perhaps we should do that.
      Or at least a page of "What is my favorite language(s), why, and how you can
      learn them too!"
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4, 2002
        On Mon, 4 Mar 2002, Chen Shapira wrote:

        > > Naturally, I'm not going to list all computer languages here. But the
        > > conclusion is clear: we should use strictly ANSI C from now on.
        >
        > Oh no!
        > Usually languages don't matter that much, and some ideas are better
        > expressed in their native language (like you mentioned about design
        > patterns).

        It was a joke. Sorry for not inculding a smiley. But it was part of me
        moaning that people had a hard time understanding perl code too.

        > I say that multi-lingualism should be encourged.
        >
        > Once apon the time, we suggested a series of lectures about obscure
        > programming languages.
        > Perhaps we should do that.

        I'd like to give a lecture about Haskell to Haifux one day, but I have
        other my lectures in the "I want to prepare them" queue, so I don't know
        how much time I can dedicate to it. But like I said, experiencing is
        usually superior to hearing lectures. So a better way is for everybody
        individually to download hugs, read the "Gentle Intro to Haskell"[1] and
        start experimenting with it.

        > Or at least a page of "What is my favorite language(s), why, and how you can
        > learn them too!"

        I can start a list or directory of languages that the Hackers-ILers know
        with links to central resources, etc. My three most favourite languages
        are Perl, Haskell and Matlab, and I have a love/hate relationship with
        C/C++. Each one of them is good for something and at many times
        practically horrid for others.

        I can use a backend similar to the lists of mailing lists, but I guess
        I'll have to write a lot of new code. Now we have to decide what we need
        for every language we are going to have:

        1. A description of it (is it functional, inherently OO, lazy,
        dynamic/static/strong/etc., lexically scoped, etc.)

        2. People's opinions on it.

        3. Highlights.

        4. Links to homepages or resources about it (a Yahoo sub-dir, a Google
        Directory Sub-Dir, Google Searches, )

        5. Books about it.

        6. Mailing lists.

        7. Contact Persons in Hackers-IL.

        Anything else? Hopefully that way we can eventually form a larger gcd.

        [1] - Googlize it.