Fwd: [CrackMonkey] huge-ass palindromes, with PYTHON

  • mulix
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 25, 2002
      seeing that this list has been rather quiet lately, i figured this
      might be interesting.

      shlomi, this mail does *not* constitute a challenge to write the code
      in perl or haskell, nor to add palindrome support to freecell solver
      or check that the locking order in the FCFS lock is palindromatic.

      [sorry, couldn't resist ;)]

      dont forget to check out the rest of norvig's site - pretty
      interesting papers there.

      ----- Forwarded message from Nick Moffitt <nick@...> -----

      Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 08:02:47 -0800
      From: Nick Moffitt <nick@...>
      To: The Status is that Rob Levin Should Get a Life <crackmonkey@...>
      Subject: [CrackMonkey] huge-ass palindromes, with PYTHON

      http://www.norvig.com/palindrome.html

      A pity it doesn't make any sense.

      --
      INFORMATION GLADLY GIVEN BUT SAFETY REQUIRES AVOIDING UNNECESSARY CONVERSATION
      end

      ----- End forwarded message -----

      --
      mulix

      http://vipe.technion.ac.il/~mulix/
      http://syscalltrack.sf.net/
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 25, 2002
        mulix <mulix@...> writes:

        > http://www.norvig.com/palindrome.html

        A note to Shlomi: Peter Norvig has done a lot of interesting stuff,
        including a very interesting (historically and technologically) book
        titled "Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming: Case Studies
        in Common Lisp".

        http://www.norvig.com/paip.html

        If you get your hands on it, I challenge you to write a General
        Problem Solver in that new dialect of Perl of yours ;-)

        --
        Oleg Goldshmidt | ogoldshmidt@...
        "If it ain't broken, it has not got enough features yet."
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 25, 2002
          On 25 Feb 2002, Oleg Goldshmidt wrote:

          > mulix <mulix@...> writes:
          >
          > > http://www.norvig.com/palindrome.html
          >
          > A note to Shlomi: Peter Norvig has done a lot of interesting stuff,
          > including a very interesting (historically and technologically) book
          > titled "Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming: Case Studies
          > in Common Lisp".
          >
          > http://www.norvig.com/paip.html
          >
          > If you get your hands on it, I challenge you to write a General
          > Problem Solver in that new dialect of Perl of yours ;-)

          Can you explain what the General Problem Solver does? I mean, what is
          meant by "General Problem"?

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 26, 2002
            Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> writes:

            > Can you explain what the General Problem Solver does? I mean, what is
            > meant by "General Problem"?

            Get your hands on Norvig's book if you are really interested, but
            basically GPS was the vision (back in the 50ies) of a program that
            would be able to solve any problem that could be described in terms of
            means-ends analysis (anyone up on Aristotle here? How many geeks with
            classical education are there on hackers-il? I know I am not one of
            them [sigh]). The vision never materialized, of course, which is
            probably one of the major reason AI is such a dirty word, but the
            research in abstraction of problem solving from particular problems
            was not useless.

            Norvig develops several version of GPS in his book. He has other fun
            stuff in it, like the famous Eliza (shrink simulator, I never looked
            into the emacs doctor-mode to check whether it is related), an algebra
            word-problem solver, a symbolic math program (sort of simplified
            Macsyma). I had fun reading it.

            Btw, Shlomi, I hope it's clear I was (to some extent) pulling your
            leg, since you seem to be the most excitable... ;-)

            --
            Oleg Goldshmidt | ogoldshmidt@...
            If it aint't broken it hasn't got enough features yet.