Re: [hackers-il] Re: (Signature is 10x longer than actual text, so hack me up by , sharp axes)

    Message 1 of 2 , May 20 2:16 PM
      On Sat, May 20, 2000, Ury Segal wrote about "Re: [hackers-il] Re: (Signature is 10x longer than actual text, so hack me up by , sharp axes)":
      > From: Omer Zak <omerz@...>
      > > I have a different philosophy about handling spam.
      > [...]
      > > This policy seems to be effective in that less than 5% of my inbox consist
      > > of spam messages.
      > I have no SPAM policy, and yet less than 5% of my inbox is SPAM,
      > like yours. This is without anoyng every single person who recieve my
      > emails with sensles, worthless, useless huge signature. Did you ever get a
      > single $ from it ?

      Nicely said, Ury :)
      Omer, your complaints to all the ISPs are an excellent way to reduce the
      amount of spam in the universe (for a long period I did that too, and I still
      collect all the spam I get for "research"), but you have to understand: it
      won't lower the amount of spam that YOU, personally, get. It's not like
      spammers are going to say "we better not mess with him - he has a lawyer and
      knows how to contact the ISPs!". They're not going to say that. They are just
      going to ignore all your complaints, warnings, and threats. In fact, some
      spammers even collect addresses of people who replied to "remove" and
      "complaint" addreses, because these are people who actually read their spam :)

      Myself, my email address(es) appear on many websites, mailing lists, I'm
      webmaster@ of several sites, so there is no chance I can stop spammers from
      harvesting my address(es). Currently, about 30% of the email I get (excluding
      mailing-lists I subscribe to) is spam (but I have to admit - most of the
      spam I get arrives at the webmaster@.. addresses).
      I can't tollerate over 1% of it being spam. I can't tollerate seeing "you have
      new mail", and then realising it's only spam. I can't tollerate spam being
      sent to my cellphone by my email notification program. This is why I need a
      spam filter.

      Omer, what do you think about the following home security policy: put up large
      signs near your (unlucked) door and (open) windows saying "If you illegaly
      enter this house, you'll be looking at 10 years in jail, plus I'll sue your
      ass off!"; then, when your house gets burglerized, you call the cops, and the
      burgler's parole officer, friends, and mother. Does this make any sense?
      Calling the cops (and other relevant complaint addresses) is always good, but
      you better couple it with some way of protecting yourself...

      BTW, if anybody has any objections to *my* signature (see below an example),
      speak now or forever hold your peace!

      --
      Nadav Har'El | Saturday, May 20 2000, 16 Iyyar 5760
      Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Sign seen in restaurant: We Reserve The