RE: [hackers-il] Functional Programming to Become the State of th e Art - ?

  • Omer Musaev
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 11, 2002

      Main reason for that, IMHO, is poor mapping of FP methodologies to
      real world problems. For example, if you have IO, you will have side
      effects. That limits use of FP practice in real-world problems to
      kernels of programs. In my humble opinion the further computational
      abstraction goes from underlying architecture, the less practical
      value it bears. For that reason, FP did not take commercial software
      by storm.

      > Many languages in use today are FP (Scheme, Perl), and some are
      > even purely FP
      > (ML, Haskell). I believe following FP guidelines help make
      > the code more
      > modular and maintainable, so I think it eventually will be
      > considered an
      > elmentary programming paradigm such as OOP.

      What makes you think that FP makes code more modular?
      Do you mean typed FP or untyped FP? From my experience, typed FP
      leads to loss of generality, while untyped FP leads to unmaintainble code.
      For example:

      (define fact
      (lambda (n)
      ((lambda (c)
      (((c (lambda (p)
      (lambda (x)
      ((x (lambda (x)
      (lambda (y)
      (x (((p (lambda (x)
      (lambda (y) x))) x) y)))))
      (((lambda (a)
      (lambda (b)
      ((b (lambda (b)
      (lambda (s)
      (lambda (z)
      ((a s) ((b s) z))))))
      (lambda (x) (lambda (y) y)))))
      (p (lambda (x) (lambda (y) x))))
      (p (lambda (x) (lambda (y) y))))))))
      (lambda (x)
      ((x (lambda (x) x)) (lambda (x) x))))
      (lambda (x) (lambda (y) ((y (lambda (x) (+ x 1))) 0)))))
      (((lambda (f)
      ((lambda (m)
      (f (lambda (x) ((m m) x))))
      (lambda (m)
      (f (lambda (x) ((m m) x))))))
      (lambda (f)
      (lambda (n)
      (if (zero? n)
      (lambda (x) (lambda (y) y))
      ((lambda (f)
      (lambda (x)
      (lambda (y)
      (x ((f x) y)))))
      (f (- n 1)))))))
      n))))

      Note: this code was created by Meir Goldberg from BGU.

      > Now for some examples and use cases:
      >
      > 1. Pointers to functions in C are a pseudo-FP element. Many C++
      > programmers tend to overlook their importance, and think that
      > one should
      > inherit a class, in order to create a callback. While callbacks as
      > pointers to functions or as derived classes are interchangeable,
      > _thinking_ about them as functions is important.

      I did not quite understood this statement. C++ has more expressive
      power than C, and inheriting a functor interface has much more
      power than implementing a function pointer. I understand that there
      are plenty of C++ programmers who do not use C++ fully, but, it's
      their fault...

      In other words, passing pointer to function is very rude way to
      compose actions, as far as C++ is used. In C you do not have many
      alternatives, but in C++ you do. In that light, I think I can
      understand refusal of using pointer to functions in C++ code.

      > In Freecell Solver for example, I wrote several test functions, each
      > performing a different type of moves. The user could choose
      > the order in
      > which those tests were performed. Furthermore, several scans
      > were written,
      > each one using the tests differently.

      This is Command pattern, not FP.

      > 2. It is obvious that coding a map, filter, accumulator, etc -like
      > functions in C would have a large amount of overhead. However, one
      > could possibly use code generators that abstract such steps into
      > combined loops based on a template. I don't remember if the
      > UML standard
      > gives way to doing it, but I think it should. It is possible
      > that one can
      > read (say) Scheme or Perl code and compile it into an
      > optimized C code.
      > (or does Forth supports such constructs?)

      However, coding map, filter, accumulator etc in C++ is straightforward
      and easy - for example:

      ;; (define (fabs x)(if (> x 0 ) x (* -1 x ) ) )
      ;; (set! results (map fabs (list 1 2 3 4 -1 -2 -10 ) ) )

      vector< int > ints = { 1, 2, 3, 4, -1, -2, -10 } ;
      vector< int > results ;
      transform( ints.begin(), ints.end(), back_inserter( results ), fabs ) ;

      ;; (define (^acc) (let ((sum 0))
      ;; (lambda (c n)
      ;; (cond (
      ;; ((equal c '+)(set! sum (+ sum n )))
      ;; ((equal c '=)sum)))))
      ;; (define acc (^acc))
      ;; (apply (lambda (x)(acc '+ x))(list 1 2 3 4 5)
      ;; (acc '= '_ )

      vector< int > ints = { 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 } ;

      template<class T>
      class Acc {
      T _sum ;
      public:
      Acc() :_sum(0) {}
      void operator()(T x) { _sum += x ; }
      T sum() { return _sum ; }
      };

      Acc<int> acc ;

      for_each( ints.begin(), ints.end(), );

      Note that the above was not compiled, since I am writing it out of my head.
      However, the point is - yes, working with functional entities as data is
      widely used, and therefore accepted:)

      > 3. Passing a void * context variable to a function emulates a
      > closure in a
      > way. I believe that by having an void * upper_context pointer
      > there, one
      > can have a certain lexical scoping-feel to the code. I.e:
      >
      > void myfunc(int , void * h)
      > {
      > h = (mystruct *)h
      > .
      > .
      > .
      > new_context = malloc(sizeof(mynewstruct));
      > new_context->up_context = h;
      > /* Fill new_context with other stuff */
      >
      > newfunc(.... , new_context);
      > }
      >
      > (can anybody point me to an LC code in C++ or in C, that way?)

      In C++ there are functors for that purpose.