=?iso-8859-1?Q?Re: [hackers-il] Re: To Hash or not to Hash [was Re: \\\"On Lisp\\\" now av=

    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 7, 2002
      ailable ]?=

      On 07.02.2002 at 09:01:02, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:

      > > Hashes are application specific. A good hash is good in a specific situation
      -
      > > that is, for each function f(x) of a random variable x there is a hash
      function
      > > h(f(x)) that generates a uniform distribution.
      > Actually if f(x) = C, where C is a constant, no such hash function exist
      > or can exist.

      Oh yeah? how about f(x) = rand(seed)? Obviously, if f(x)=C, you might want to
      use a data structure different than a hash anyways.

      > > If you want a catch-all hash function, use a cryptographic hash like MD5.
      > Have you ever tried running md5sum on a CD-ROM you just downloaded from
      > the Internet? It takes forever to run. Usually, one will prefer to use a
      > non-cryptographic hash function because it is faster and albeit can be
      > tricked, usually generates equally good results. If there are a limited
      > number of elements, than a Perfect Hash, which you\'ll have to compile from
      > the set, would probably be a better choice.
      >
      > This is of course assuming the keys are fully serializable in some way.
      > Sometimes, preparing a serialized key is not very straightforward.

      Actually I have just md5sum-ed a 2GB file, so I know how slow it is... I totaly
      agree that baring special circumstances (i.e. in order to create the trapdoor
      effect, say, in issuing confirmation numbers for flights, when the confirmation
      cannot lead back to info in the ticket).

      > > If you
      > > want a lean and mean function, you\\\'d have to analyze the domain you are
      working
      > > with and think up a function that hashes it ok.
      > That was the case with Freecell Solver, where I recently switched from MD5
      > to Perl\'s hash function and did not notice too big a difference in the
      > speed.
      >
      > However, the hash function being chosen is just one of the elements of
      > constructing a good hash (albeit a very important one, because a hash is
      > only as good as it). Refer to my previous posts for other elements like
      > chaining vs. open addressing, promoting or caching elements, etc. In C++,
      > I\'m not sure how well can one re-use the chain\'s elements, when they are
      > re-hashed, and just pointing them to differnt elements, which is another
      > technique I used in FCS.
      >
      > What I like about ANSI C, is that it does what you want when you want it,
      > and if you know what you\'re doing there are very little side-effects. It
      > does provide for a greater error ratio, than most other languages I know,
      > though.
      >
      > > The glibc hash is very simplistic - you can beat it in many ways.
      > >

      > s/glibc/glib/? (glibc does not contain a hash, AFAI\'m aware).

      yes

      > My point was that if you are working on a Gtk+/GNOME application, you are
      > stuck with the glib\'s hash whether you want it or not, because it\'s part
      > of the Gtk+/GNOME architecture. You can code your own hash in ANSI C, but
      > then you may be criticized for making the code unreadable, or deviating
      > from the Standard Way of Doing Things<tm> there. And in Glib\'s 1.2 at
      > least, I believe it\'s impossible to define a hash with the same interface
      > as Glib\'s hash, not to mention that the interface itself is not very
      > optimizied (or sensible).

      Well, the SWoDT is not always the best, and you ought not always to listen to
      what other people say about your style. Well, maybe listen, but not always
      embrace.

      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 7, 2002
        vailable ]?=

        Perhaps all you want is to distribute a set of values in a uniform fashion.

        -- Arik

        On 07.02.2002 at 12:09:56, Ofir Carny <ofir@...> wrote:

        > As I said, it is only good for specific applications, obviously, you can\'t
        > change a hash function without rebuilding an existing table, however in some
        > applications it is enough to prevent a malicious attempt to \'break\' your
        > function.
        >
        > I didn\'t refer to the chain, however (unrelated), you can use a second
        > function to use the table for the chain, avoiding memory allocation for
        > collisions in a constant sized table.

        Arik Baratz
        System Engineer
        arikb@...

        Office:
        4 Hamelacha St.
        Raa’nana 43661
        ISRAEL

        Tel: +972 (9) 743-9250 ext. 214
        Fax: +972 (9) 743-9251
        Cell: +972 (52) 354 959
        eFax: +1 (978) 926-8913
        ICQ: 210 8214

        Privileged and / or confidential Information may be contained in this electronic
        mail message.

        You may not copy or deliver this message to anyone without my consent.

        If you are not the addressee indicated in this message, or you feel that this
        message is not intended for you, Please destroy this message and kindly notify
        the sender by replying to this electronic mail.

        Please advise immediately if you or your employer do not agree to the use of
        Internet email for messages of this kind.

        Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate
        to the official business of Vidius shall be understood as neither given nor
        endorsed by it.
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 7, 2002
          On Thu, Feb 07, 2002, Arik Baratz wrote about "=?iso-8859-1?Q?Re: [hackers-il] Re: To Hash or not to Hash [was Re: \\\"On Lisp\\\" now av=":
          > ailable ]?=

          Wow, something is *REALLY* wrong with your mail program, Vidius filter,
          or whatever... A part of the the subject got hacked off into the main
          text (as you can see in the quote above),

          > > > want a lean and mean function, you\\\'d have to analyze the domain you are
          > working
          > > > with and think up a function that hashes it ok.
          > > That was the case with Freecell Solver, where I recently switched from MD5
          > > to Perl\'s hash function and did not notice too big a difference in the

          and something caused all single quotes in your message (even its subject line)
          to be backslashed, sometimes by more than one backslash. What is this - a
          mailer written in a shell? :)

          Weird ;)

          --
          Nadav Har'El | Thursday, Feb 7 2002, 26 Shevat 5762
          Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |I before E except after C. We live in a
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 7, 2002
            \\\\\\"On Lisp\\\\\\\" now av=3D?=

            On 07.02.2002 at 21:18:58, Nadav Har\'El <nyh@...> wrote:

            > On Thu, Feb 07, 2002, Arik Baratz wrote about \"=?iso-8859-1?Q?Re:
            [hackers-il] Re: To Hash or not to Hash [was Re: \\\\\\\"On Lisp\\\\\\\" now
            av=\":
            > > ailable ]?=
            >
            > Wow, something is *REALLY* wrong with your mail program, Vidius filter,
            > or whatever... A part of the the subject got hacked off into the main
            > text (as you can see in the quote above),

            I\'m in the united states right now, and I\'m using JawMail
            http://jawmail.sf.net beta version. It has some flaws, I admit.

            > > working
            > > > That was the case with Freecell Solver, where I recently switched from
            MD5
            > > > to Perl\\\'s hash function and did not notice too big a difference in
            the

            > and something caused all single quotes in your message (even its subject
            line)
            > to be backslashed, sometimes by more than one backslash. What is this - a
            > mailer written in a shell? :)
            >
            > Weird ;)

            Not in shell, in PHP. It\'s somewhat buggy, but it works...

[...]

          • mulix
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 7, 2002
              On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Arik Baratz wrote:

              > \\\\\\"On Lisp\\\\\\\" now av=3D?=

              [snipped other such monstrosities, and then arik said]
              > Not in shell, in PHP. It\'s somewhat buggy, but it works...

              egads, whatever happened to good ol' telnet my.mail.server.com 25 and
              talking SMTP like reasonable human beings?

              ObHackersIL - nothing. things have certainly hit a low point.
              --
              mulix

              http://vipe.technion.ac.il/~mulix/
              http://syscalltrack.sf.net/