RE: [hackers-il] "On Lisp" now available online for download

  • Omer Musaev
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 5, 2002

      Yes, it is a nice introduction to STL/_most_fundamental algorithms.

      However, while "Fundamental Algorithms in C++" covers algorithms that are
      taught in universities, STL <algorithm>s are more tools than algorithms.

      According[1] to Alex Stepanov ( architect of STL ), he intended to insert
      most common
      CS algorithms into STL, but was confronted by Bjarne Stroustruppe, who
      demanded
      STL to be as compact and orthogonal as it can be. Actually, due to political

      disputations in Standard comittee, some more esoteric features entered the
      library, while some basic ones ( most notably hash ) are absent.

      However, since generic <programming> is very potent technique, it is pity
      that
      there are so few standard solutions available in generic form.

      [1] http://www.stlport.org/resources/StepanovUSA.html

      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 5, 2002
        Omer Musaev <omerm@...> writes:

        > some more esoteric features entered the library, while some basic
        > ones ( most notably hash ) are absent.

        How many times have I missed that! It does come with gcc, but is not
        standard...

        > [1] http://www.stlport.org/resources/StepanovUSA.html

        There is a great passage there about Stepanov's early realization that
        "agorithms are defined on algebraic structures". In my head, it echoes
        the "show me your structures and the block diagram becomes irrelevant"
        very nicely.

        What does the hackers-il population think of Stepanov's criticism of
        OOP?

        "I have yet to see an interesting piece of code that comes from these
        OO people."

        "...It might be a profitable thing for all your readers to learn Java,
        but it has no intellectual value whatsoever."

        What I did like was the "Money Oriented Programming" moniker ;-)

        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 6, 2002
          On 5 Feb 2002, Oleg Goldshmidt wrote:

          > Omer Musaev <omerm@...> writes:
          >
          > > some more esoteric features entered the library, while some basic
          > > ones ( most notably hash ) are absent.
          >
          > How many times have I missed that! It does come with gcc, but is not
          > standard...

          I first thought that it was strange that STL lacked hashes. But then I
          remembered something: hashing theory is very comprehensive and there are a
          lot of ways to implement and tweak a hash. Points that come to mind:

          1. Chaining vs. Open-Addressing.

          2. The Hash function being chosen. (refer to:
          http://burtleburtle.net/bob/hash/)

          3. Modulo bucketing vs. multiplicative bucketing.

          4. Re-hashing.

          5. Storing the hash values next to the keys (to make for faster
          comparisons and re-hashings)

          6. Promoting or caching frequently accessed elements in the backets.

          7. Using something other than a linked list as a bucket - a doubly-linked
          list, a binary tree, a vector, another hash (;-) - I know someone who did
          that because he did not know better),

          8. Perfect Hashing.

          9. Universal Hashing.

          10. Which operations: an atomic check-if-exists and if not add? An atomic
          check-and-replace, an insert-if-not-exist, etc.

          ---

          When working on Freecell Solver, I noticed that my own hash performed
          better than Glib's because I used better optimizations. I believe it would
          have out-performed Glib's hash in most other cases. (Note - it's API is
          still very incomplete, because of the requirements of FCS). Had I written
          a Gtk+/GNOME app, I probably would have been "forced" to use it because
          it's part of the Gtk+ architecture, which would have made the application
          slower.

          Some languages, like Perl, force a certain implementation (and a certain
          hash function) on their users. In Perl at least, one can program
          primitives that behave like hashes in Perl and in C, but they are not the
          default. Mark-Jason Dominus demonstrates that the hash function can go
          wrong:

          http://perl.plover.com/#badhash

          So basically the dilemma is what hash implementation to have, or what
          range of hashing options to support. I'm not sure it is possible to build
          a hash abstraction that would support all of the hashing options and will
          not be too bloated or unmaintainable.

          Had STL contained a hash, it would have been possible that some
          programmers could have (and possibly rightfully) blamed their program's
          performance on the hash. Since a hash is usually quite trivial to program,
          it's, IMO, a good idea to sometimes use your own custom hash
          implementation.

          There is no IGLU Cabal! They tried to save complexity and preferred to use
          a hash over a balanced binary tree. They managed to insert all of the
          elements in O(n) time, but then discovered it would take an extra
          O(n*log(n)) to print them in order. This caused confusion and
          disappointment and brought the demise of the cabal.

          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 6, 2002
            online for download ]?=

            Hashes are application specific. A good hash is good in a specific situation -
            that is, for each function f(x) of a random variable x there is a hash function
            h(f(x)) that generates a uniform distribution.

            If you want a catch-all hash function, use a cryptographic hash like MD5. If you
            want a lean and mean function, you\'d have to analyze the domain you are working
            with and think up a function that hashes it ok.

            The glibc hash is very simplistic - you can beat it in many ways.

            -- Arik

            On 06.02.2002 at 15:49:49, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > the \"show me your structures and the block diagram becomes irrelevant\"
            > > very nicely.
            > >
            > > What does the hackers-il population think of Stepanov\'s criticism of
            > > OOP?
            > >
            > > \"I have yet to see an interesting piece of code that comes from these
            > > OO people.\"
            > >
            > > \"...It might be a profitable thing for all your readers to learn Java,
            > > but it has no intellectual value whatsoever.\"
            > >
            > > What I did like was the \"Money Oriented Programming\" moniker ;-)
            > >
            > > --
            > > Oleg Goldshmidt | ogoldshmidt@...
            > > \"If it ain\'t broken, it has not got enough features yet.\"

            > Shlomi Fish shlomif@...
            > Home Page: http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/
            > Home E-mail: shlomif@...
            >
            > \"Let\'s suppose you have a table with 2^n cups...\"
            > \"Wait a second - is n a natural number?\"

            Arik Baratz
            System Engineer
            arikb@...

            Office:
            4 Hamelacha St.
            Raa’nana 43661
            ISRAEL

            Tel: +972 (9) 743-9250 ext. 214
            Fax: +972 (9) 743-9251
            Cell: +972 (52) 354 959
            eFax: +1 (978) 926-8913
            ICQ: 210 8214

            Privileged and / or confidential Information may be contained in this electronic
            mail message.

            You may not copy or deliver this message to anyone without my consent.

            If you are not the addressee indicated in this message, or you feel that this
            message is not intended for you, Please destroy this message and kindly notify
            the sender by replying to this electronic mail.

            Please advise immediately if you or your employer do not agree to the use of
            Internet email for messages of this kind.

            Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate
            to the official business of Vidius shall be understood as neither given nor
            endorsed by it.
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 6, 2002
              On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Shlomi Fish wrote:

              > On 5 Feb 2002, Oleg Goldshmidt wrote:
              >
              > > Omer Musaev <omerm@...> writes:
              > >
              > > > some more esoteric features entered the library, while some basic
              > > > ones ( most notably hash ) are absent.
              > >
              > > How many times have I missed that! It does come with gcc, but is not
              > > standard...
              > >

              > I first thought that it was strange that STL lacked hashes. But then I
              > remembered something: hashing theory is very comprehensive and there are a
              > lot of ways to implement and tweak a hash. Points that come to mind:
              >
              > 1. Chaining vs. Open-Addressing.

              [... more options were snipped ...]

              > So basically the dilemma is what hash implementation to have, or what
              > range of hashing options to support. I'm not sure it is possible to build
              > a hash abstraction that would support all of the hashing options and will
              > not be too bloated or unmaintainable.
              >
              > Had STL contained a hash, it would have been possible that some
              > programmers could have (and possibly rightfully) blamed their program's
              > performance on the hash. Since a hash is usually quite trivial to program,
              > it's, IMO, a good idea to sometimes use your own custom hash
              > implementation.

              On the other hand, let's not forget what I believe to be the reason for
              FORTH's demise. FORTH is a very elegant language, with unorthodox ideas.
              It was invented by Chuck Moore, who is having his own eccentric (and
              fresh) ideas about how one should program.

              The reason FORTH didn't take hold (at least in my own projects) was that
              it lacked standard libraries for the things which I needed. It expected
              people to reinvent the wheel (and optimize it to their project's needs)
              all the time. It didn't take to heart Pareto's Law (80% of the
              computer time/programmer time/memory requirements/bug expenses of software
              are in 20% of the code). People should optimize and design their own
              implementations of data structures only when and where they are critical
              to the software's performance. For non-critical parts of the software,
              standard libraries are good enough and should be used.

              The morale of the story to hash functions in STL:
              STL should have provided a standard hash implementation (like Perl does).
              But the standard implementation should (like implementations of all
              other STL data structuers) have provisions for people to substitute their
              optimized algorithms when those algorithms are really needed for a
              specific application.
              --- Omer
              There is no IGLU Cabal. We'll organize the next meeting when we finish
              to prove, from First Principles, that 1 + 1 = 2.
              WARNING TO SPAMMERS: see at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 6, 2002
                On Wed, Feb 06, 2002, Shlomi Fish wrote about "[hackers-il] To Hash or not to Hash [was Re: "On Lisp" now available online for download ]":
                > On 5 Feb 2002, Oleg Goldshmidt wrote:
                >
                > > Omer Musaev <omerm@...> writes:
                > >
                > > > some more esoteric features entered the library, while some basic
                > > > ones ( most notably hash ) are absent.
                > >
                > > How many times have I missed that! It does come with gcc, but is not
                > > standard...
                > >

                > I first thought that it was strange that STL lacked hashes. But then I
                > remembered something: hashing theory is very comprehensive and there are a
                > lot of ways to implement and tweak a hash. Points that come to mind:

                When efficiency is the key, "canned" hash implementations are many times
                not good enough. They waste memory when memory is important to you, they
                are too slow when speed is important, the hash function doesn't work well
                for your (weird) choice of keys, they don't have predictable run times
                (e.g., one insert can take 1000 times of another insert, because your hash
                spontaneously decided to grow and reorder itself), and a bunch of other
                problems.

                But when absolute efficiency and suiting the exact problem isn't needed,
                a general-purpose hash is a very useful tool. Consider for example the
                hashes in Perl or Awk. I've used them countless times. They let you do
                very powerful stuff very easily. And I never cared if they are not
                the most efficient solution possible.

                So I think the STL *should* contain a hash, at least for keys with certain
                simple types (integer arrays, strings, etc.). Someone who needs very special
                implementations for very specific purposes will probably implement something
                differet - but someone who just needs "something that works well" will be
                happy with the STL's hash.

                Other STL containers have similar tradeoffs as with hashes - consider, for
                example, priority queues. STL's implementation are based on "heaps", and
                have O(logn) insertion and pop. It's easy to write a different implementation
                with a O(n) insertion of a whole sorted group of events and O(1) pop - such
                implementation might be faster for special uses. It's possible to implement
                hash-like O(1) insert and O(1) pop if you make other types of assumptions on
                the distribution of events on the queue.
                For example, in one program I once wrote in C++, where efficiency was of
                utmost importance and required the use of priority queues in two places -
                in one place the STL implementation was very good (better than something I
                tried to write myself), but in another place, my O(1) implementation was
                better.

                In the same program I also needed a hashtable, and in that case two things
                were very important: very low memory use and predictable time (no sudden
                reorganizations of the hash), so the SGI's STL hash was not suitable at
                all. I ended up writing a very optimized solution, that ended up taking
                only about 6 bytes (if I remember correctly) per entry over the length of
                the entry (key+value) itself, under certain assumption (one key assumption
                that the hash table will never contain more than 2^16 entries).

                --
                Nadav Har'El | Thursday, Feb 7 2002, 25 Shevat 5762
                Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |I want to live forever or die in the
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 6, 2002
                  On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Omer Zak wrote:

                  > On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Shlomi Fish wrote:

                  > > > How many times have I missed that! It does come with gcc, but is not
                  > > > standard...
                  > > >

                  > > I first thought that it was strange that STL lacked hashes. But then I
                  > > remembered something: hashing theory is very comprehensive and there are a
                  > > lot of ways to implement and tweak a hash. Points that come to mind:
                  > >
                  > > 1. Chaining vs. Open-Addressing.
                  >
                  > [... more options were snipped ...]
                  >
                  > > So basically the dilemma is what hash implementation to have, or what
                  > > range of hashing options to support. I'm not sure it is possible to build
                  > > a hash abstraction that would support all of the hashing options and will
                  > > not be too bloated or unmaintainable.
                  > >
                  > > Had STL contained a hash, it would have been possible that some
                  > > programmers could have (and possibly rightfully) blamed their program's
                  > > performance on the hash. Since a hash is usually quite trivial to program,
                  > > it's, IMO, a good idea to sometimes use your own custom hash
                  > > implementation.
                  >
                  > On the other hand, let's not forget what I believe to be the reason for
                  > FORTH's demise. FORTH is a very elegant language, with unorthodox ideas.
                  > It was invented by Chuck Moore, who is having his own eccentric (and
                  > fresh) ideas about how one should program.
                  >
                  > The reason FORTH didn't take hold (at least in my own projects) was that
                  > it lacked standard libraries for the things which I needed. It expected
                  > people to reinvent the wheel (and optimize it to their project's needs)
                  > all the time. It didn't take to heart Pareto's Law (80% of the
                  > computer time/programmer time/memory requirements/bug expenses of software
                  > are in 20% of the code). People should optimize and design their own
                  > implementations of data structures only when and where they are critical
                  > to the software's performance. For non-critical parts of the software,
                  > standard libraries are good enough and should be used.
                  >
                  > The morale of the story to hash functions in STL:
                  > STL should have provided a standard hash implementation (like Perl does).
                  > But the standard implementation should (like implementations of all
                  > other STL data structuers) have provisions for people to substitute their
                  > optimized algorithms when those algorithms are really needed for a
                  > specific application.

                  Sounds like a good compromise. In any case, deriving a class from a base
                  hash class may make the code a bit more difficult but not much, assuming
                  the code makes use of hash<mytype> & instead of
                  my_own_efficient_hash<mytype> & (pardon my C++ and STL ignorance in case
                  it shows).

                  > --- Omer
                  > There is no IGLU Cabal. We'll organize the next meeting when we finish
                  > to prove, from First Principles, that 1 + 1 = 2.

                  Purposely taking the joke too seriously:

                  I believe Russel and Whitham managed to prove arithmetics from logic in
                  "Prinicipa Mathematica". However, I believe 2 is defined as "1 + 1", or as
                  the number that follows one, even though it undoubtedly has much more
                  properties.

                  It's like the De-Morgan Laws (not(A and B) = not(A) or not(B) and vice
                  versa). One can show that they hold for every A and B and that's enough of
                  a proof. I am not referring to the general case (for A1, A2, A3, A4...)
                  that has to be proved by mathemtical induction.

                  There is no IGLU Cabal! One of its most prominent members commited suicide
                  when he failed to find a proof that the axiom that "A is A, and A is not
                  not-A" holds for every A.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 6, 2002
                    On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Arik Baratz wrote:

                    > online for download ]?=
                    >

                    > Hashes are application specific. A good hash is good in a specific situation -
                    > that is, for each function f(x) of a random variable x there is a hash function
                    > h(f(x)) that generates a uniform distribution.

                    Actually if f(x) = C, where C is a constant, no such hash function exist
                    or can exist.

                    > If you want a catch-all hash function, use a cryptographic hash like MD5.

                    Have you ever tried running md5sum on a CD-ROM you just downloaded from
                    the Internet? It takes forever to run. Usually, one will prefer to use a
                    non-cryptographic hash function because it is faster and albeit can be
                    tricked, usually generates equally good results. If there are a limited
                    number of elements, than a Perfect Hash, which you'll have to compile from
                    the set, would probably be a better choice.

                    This is of course assuming the keys are fully serializable in some way.
                    Sometimes, preparing a serialized key is not very straightforward.

                    > If you
                    > want a lean and mean function, you\'d have to analyze the domain you are working
                    > with and think up a function that hashes it ok.

                    That was the case with Freecell Solver, where I recently switched from MD5
                    to Perl's hash function and did not notice too big a difference in the
                    speed.

                    However, the hash function being chosen is just one of the elements of
                    constructing a good hash (albeit a very important one, because a hash is
                    only as good as it). Refer to my previous posts for other elements like
                    chaining vs. open addressing, promoting or caching elements, etc. In C++,
                    I'm not sure how well can one re-use the chain's elements, when they are
                    re-hashed, and just pointing them to differnt elements, which is another
                    technique I used in FCS.

                    What I like about ANSI C, is that it does what you want when you want it,
                    and if you know what you're doing there are very little side-effects. It
                    does provide for a greater error ratio, than most other languages I know,
                    though.

                    > The glibc hash is very simplistic - you can beat it in many ways.

                    s/glibc/glib/? (glibc does not contain a hash, AFAI'm aware).

                    My point was that if you are working on a Gtk+/GNOME application, you are
                    stuck with the glib's hash whether you want it or not, because it's part
                    of the Gtk+/GNOME architecture. You can code your own hash in ANSI C, but
                    then you may be criticized for making the code unreadable, or deviating
                    from the Standard Way of Doing Things<tm> there. And in Glib's 1.2 at
                    least, I believe it's impossible to define a hash with the same interface
                    as Glib's hash, not to mention that the interface itself is not very
                    optimizied (or sensible).

                  • Ofir Carny
                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 7, 2002
                      As far as I remember, for some applications, you can also use a random hash
                      in order to avoid being tricked.

                      This means a hash function which is not constant (or depends on another not
                      constant parameter).

                      Ofir

                      This email and any files transmitted were checked by
                      Port Authority Enterprise for unathorized content.
                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 7, 2002
                        On Thu, Feb 07, 2002, Ofir Carny wrote about "RE: [hackers-il] Re: To Hash or not to Hash [was Re: \"On Lisp\" now available ]":
                        > As far as I remember, for some applications, you can also use a random hash
                        > in order to avoid being tricked.
                        >
                        > This means a hash function which is not constant (or depends on another not
                        > constant parameter).

                        What do you mean? If you place an entry somewhere in the table, and next
                        time you go looking for it your "random hash" lands you somewhere else, how
                        will you find that existing entry? Maybe you mean ordering entries in one
                        hash chain in a random order? But I can't see what that would get you -
                        hash chains are supposed to be short anyway.

                        --
                        Nadav Har'El | Thursday, Feb 7 2002, 25 Shevat 5762
                        Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |The world is coming to an end ... SAVE
                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 7, 2002
                          As I said, it is only good for specific applications, obviously, you can't
                          change a hash function without rebuilding an existing table, however in some
                          applications it is enough to prevent a malicious attempt to 'break' your
                          function.

                          I didn't refer to the chain, however (unrelated), you can use a second
                          function to use the table for the chain, avoiding memory allocation for
                          collisions in a constant sized table.

                          nyh@...
                          |-----------------------------------------

                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 7, 2002
                            On Thu, Feb 07, 2002, Ofir Carny wrote about "RE: [hackers-il] Re: To Hash or not to Hash [was Re: \"On Lisp\" now available ]":
                            > As I said, it is only good for specific applications, obviously, you can't
                            > change a hash function without rebuilding an existing table, however in some
                            > applications it is enough to prevent a malicious attempt to 'break' your
                            > function.

                            Oh, I see - you meant choosing, once, a *hash function* at random, but then
                            use the same hash function all the time? Ok.

                            --
                            Nadav Har'El | Thursday, Feb 7 2002, 25 Shevat 5762
                            Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Unlike Microsoft, a restaurant will give
                            Message 13 of 22 , Feb 7, 2002
                              On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Nadav Har'El wrote:

                              > On Thu, Feb 07, 2002, Ofir Carny wrote about "RE: [hackers-il] Re: To Hash or not to Hash [was Re: \"On Lisp\" now available ]":
                              > > As I said, it is only good for specific applications, obviously, you can't
                              > > change a hash function without rebuilding an existing table, however in some
                              > > applications it is enough to prevent a malicious attempt to 'break' your
                              > > function.
                              >
                              > Oh, I see - you meant choosing, once, a *hash function* at random, but then
                              > use the same hash function all the time? Ok.

                              There is a methodology to construct a random hash function out of a
                              universal set of hash functions. This is called Universal Hashing, and I
                              studied about it in my DS and Algorithms course. An example for it, would
                              be to randomize an arbitrary string to prepend (or append) to the data
                              before it is MD5'ed. That way, even if the user deliberately creates
                              different strings whose first 32-bit MD5 bits are the same, he'll still
                              won't be able to out-smart the hash, because the prefix will make their
                              salt values completely different.

                              Of course, letting the user know what the prefix is will render it
                              useless. So it's kind of like a "security by obscurity" methodolgy.

                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 7, 2002
                                ailable ]?=

                                On 07.02.2002 at 09:01:02, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:

                                > > Hashes are application specific. A good hash is good in a specific situation
                                -
                                > > that is, for each function f(x) of a random variable x there is a hash
                                function
                                > > h(f(x)) that generates a uniform distribution.
                                > Actually if f(x) = C, where C is a constant, no such hash function exist
                                > or can exist.

                                Oh yeah? how about f(x) = rand(seed)? Obviously, if f(x)=C, you might want to
                                use a data structure different than a hash anyways.

                                > > If you want a catch-all hash function, use a cryptographic hash like MD5.
                                > Have you ever tried running md5sum on a CD-ROM you just downloaded from
                                > the Internet? It takes forever to run. Usually, one will prefer to use a
                                > non-cryptographic hash function because it is faster and albeit can be
                                > tricked, usually generates equally good results. If there are a limited
                                > number of elements, than a Perfect Hash, which you\'ll have to compile from
                                > the set, would probably be a better choice.
                                >
                                > This is of course assuming the keys are fully serializable in some way.
                                > Sometimes, preparing a serialized key is not very straightforward.

                                Actually I have just md5sum-ed a 2GB file, so I know how slow it is... I totaly
                                agree that baring special circumstances (i.e. in order to create the trapdoor
                                effect, say, in issuing confirmation numbers for flights, when the confirmation
                                cannot lead back to info in the ticket).

                                > > If you
                                > > want a lean and mean function, you\\\'d have to analyze the domain you are
                                working
                                > > with and think up a function that hashes it ok.
                                > That was the case with Freecell Solver, where I recently switched from MD5
                                > to Perl\'s hash function and did not notice too big a difference in the
                                > speed.
                                >
                                > However, the hash function being chosen is just one of the elements of
                                > constructing a good hash (albeit a very important one, because a hash is
                                > only as good as it). Refer to my previous posts for other elements like
                                > chaining vs. open addressing, promoting or caching elements, etc. In C++,
                                > I\'m not sure how well can one re-use the chain\'s elements, when they are
                                > re-hashed, and just pointing them to differnt elements, which is another
                                > technique I used in FCS.
                                >
                                > What I like about ANSI C, is that it does what you want when you want it,
                                > and if you know what you\'re doing there are very little side-effects. It
                                > does provide for a greater error ratio, than most other languages I know,
                                > though.
                                >
                                > > The glibc hash is very simplistic - you can beat it in many ways.
                                > >

                                > s/glibc/glib/? (glibc does not contain a hash, AFAI\'m aware).

                                yes

                                > My point was that if you are working on a Gtk+/GNOME application, you are
                                > stuck with the glib\'s hash whether you want it or not, because it\'s part
                                > of the Gtk+/GNOME architecture. You can code your own hash in ANSI C, but
                                > then you may be criticized for making the code unreadable, or deviating
                                > from the Standard Way of Doing Things<tm> there. And in Glib\'s 1.2 at
                                > least, I believe it\'s impossible to define a hash with the same interface
                                > as Glib\'s hash, not to mention that the interface itself is not very
                                > optimizied (or sensible).

                                Well, the SWoDT is not always the best, and you ought not always to listen to
                                what other people say about your style. Well, maybe listen, but not always
                                embrace.

                                Message 15 of 22 , Feb 7, 2002
                                  vailable ]?=

                                  Perhaps all you want is to distribute a set of values in a uniform fashion.

                                  -- Arik

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Feb 7, 2002
                                    On Thu, Feb 07, 2002, Arik Baratz wrote about "=?iso-8859-1?Q?Re: [hackers-il] Re: To Hash or not to Hash [was Re: \\\"On Lisp\\\" now av=":
                                    > ailable ]?=

                                    Wow, something is *REALLY* wrong with your mail program, Vidius filter,
                                    or whatever... A part of the the subject got hacked off into the main
                                    text (as you can see in the quote above),

                                    > > > want a lean and mean function, you\\\'d have to analyze the domain you are
                                    > working
                                    > > > with and think up a function that hashes it ok.
                                    > > That was the case with Freecell Solver, where I recently switched from MD5
                                    > > to Perl\'s hash function and did not notice too big a difference in the

                                    and something caused all single quotes in your message (even its subject line)
                                    to be backslashed, sometimes by more than one backslash. What is this - a
                                    mailer written in a shell? :)

                                    Weird ;)

                                    --
                                    Nadav Har'El | Thursday, Feb 7 2002, 26 Shevat 5762
                                    Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |I before E except after C. We live in a
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Feb 7, 2002
                                      \\\\\\"On Lisp\\\\\\\" now av=3D?=

                                      On 07.02.2002 at 21:18:58, Nadav Har\'El <nyh@...> wrote:

                                      > On Thu, Feb 07, 2002, Arik Baratz wrote about \"=?iso-8859-1?Q?Re:
                                      [hackers-il] Re: To Hash or not to Hash [was Re: \\\\\\\"On Lisp\\\\\\\" now
                                      av=\":
                                      > > ailable ]?=
                                      >
                                      > Wow, something is *REALLY* wrong with your mail program, Vidius filter,
                                      > or whatever... A part of the the subject got hacked off into the main
                                      > text (as you can see in the quote above),

                                      I\'m in the united states right now, and I\'m using JawMail
                                      http://jawmail.sf.net beta version. It has some flaws, I admit.

                                      > > working
                                      > > > That was the case with Freecell Solver, where I recently switched from
                                      MD5
                                      > > > to Perl\\\'s hash function and did not notice too big a difference in
                                      the

                                      > and something caused all single quotes in your message (even its subject
                                      line)
                                      > to be backslashed, sometimes by more than one backslash. What is this - a
                                      > mailer written in a shell? :)
                                      >
                                      > Weird ;)

                                      Not in shell, in PHP. It\'s somewhat buggy, but it works...

[...]

                                    • mulix
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Feb 7, 2002
                                        On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Arik Baratz wrote:

                                        > \\\\\\"On Lisp\\\\\\\" now av=3D?=

                                        [snipped other such monstrosities, and then arik said]
                                        > Not in shell, in PHP. It\'s somewhat buggy, but it works...

                                        egads, whatever happened to good ol' telnet my.mail.server.com 25 and
                                        talking SMTP like reasonable human beings?

                                        ObHackersIL - nothing. things have certainly hit a low point.
                                        --
                                        mulix

                                        http://vipe.technion.ac.il/~mulix/
                                        http://syscalltrack.sf.net/