"The Street" - a scene from Humanity

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 12, 2001
      Here's a (yet incomplete) scene from Humanity which I think may interest
      you:

      The Street:
      ===========

      [ Long shot of a street, two neighbours are talking. ]

      Gideon [one of the neighbours]:

      [ .. Conversation goes on. While in it a young man walks down the street
      three times. In the third time, Gideon asks him.
      ]

      Gideon: Excuse me: I noticed you are constantly walking down that street.
      Can
      I ask why?

      Young man: Really? It's just that I'm from a different neighbourhood and I
      just thought that if I turn left all the time I'll scan the whole
      neighbourhood?

      Gideon: No, this won't work. You see if you turn left here [shows with his
      hand], go along the street, and then turn left here, [the young man turns
      his
      head around], and then left here [again, he twists his head], and here,
      you'll
      be in the same place where you started.

      Young man: Of course! But wait a second - I remember an ingenius algorithm
      by my cousin Daniel...

      Gideon: You mean the crazy inventor whose invention clogged up our well
      today?

      Young man: Yeah! Anyway he said that you just have to put your hand on the
      wall, like this [ puts his hand on the right wall relative to the camera ]
      and
      then by keeping it on the same wall you'll go throughout the entire maze.
      I'll
      do it, thanks! [he starts to walk]

      Gideon: Hold on! It won't work.

      Young man: Why?

      Gideon: Because this block is surrounded by four streets, and you'll end
      up
      going around it again and again.

      Young man: [thinks about it for a moment] You're right. Daniel said
      something
      about it, and he said he had an improved algorithm, that did not have this
      limitation...

      Gideon: Wanna here about my algorithm?

      Young man: Yes.

      Gideon: Ask.

      Young man: [thinks for a moment] That could work. Do you know where Yossef
      Ben-Dov lives?

      Gideon: Sure! Right here [ points to a nearby house. ]

      Young man: Super! Thanks. [walks there]

      [ Gideon and his neighbour continue to talk]