Re: [hackers-il] The Freshmeat Effect

  • Tzafrir Cohen
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 15, 2001
      On Fri, 16 Nov 2001, Shlomi Fish wrote:

      > Most of you are probably familiar with the Slashdot Effect. However, I
      > recently noticed another important effect which I call the Freshmeat
      > Effect. I'll try to describe it here.
      >
      > The Freshmeat Effect is examplified that if a project constantly appears
      > on the Freshmeat front-page, it eventually starts to clog the results of
      > various search engines, especially Freshmeat. I noticed this phenomenon
      > with my own program - Freecell Solver. Searching for "Freecell Solver" on
      > Google yields 9 out of the 10 first results as those that are directly
      > relevant to it. (and the tenth is something I can't quite understand).
      > Moreover, the other links in this search category are usually relevant to
      > it.
      >
      > Note that the query "freecell solver" is quite generic and someone may use
      > it to search for any computerized (or human) solver of Freecell, not
      > necessarily my own. But they'll have a hard time finding such relevant
      > URLs. And FYI, there are several other computer solvers in existence,
      > some of them much olderthan my own. (AAMOF, some university courses
      > require the students to write one)

      For google the age is not very relevant (the index gets updated once a
      month or so, right?), but it matters where they are pointed from. I figure
      that your program/library is linked-to from various sites, not only
      freshmeat.

      > Of course, there are other places where the Freshmeat Effect becomes
      > apparent, even if the relevant entity has never appeared on Freshmeat
      > itself.

      I haven't noticed this with Freshmeat before, but this is typical to the
      way google works: freashmeat is probably a very trustworthy source (=
      pointed to by many other trustworthy pages), with tons of internal links
      (is that relevant).

      In a way, google can be used here as a "meta-search engine", by indexing
      fixed results of some known searches.

      Have you tried comparing google to other search engines?

      Another example:

      Try adding the "keyword" rpm to some search regarding a certain linux
      software, and you'll end up with entries from various rpmfind databases.
      Again, those are "good" sources for google.

      > I don't think the Freshmeat effect is entirely negative or entirely
      > positive. It's just there, and until there are going to be "better" search
      > engines than Google, I suggest people to "release early, release often"
      > and naturally, "do it yourself, because nobody else will do it for you".

      Of course, you should not abuse it and update freshemat with every small
      bug you fix as a new version. Eventually freshmeat will stop taking your
      entries...

      --
      Tzafrir Cohen
      mailto:tzafrir@...