Re: [hackers-il] "Structure of OS" Course and Real Life

  • Dan Kenigsberg
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 15, 2001

      > Ok, let's see: (it's a joke, and parts require some Linux inside information,
      > so don't take it too seriously!)
      >
      > 1. Virtual memory and paging:
      > I have much more books than I can put on my night-stand. Books that are

      Attention, Nadav! You are straying from essays into fiction, and maybe even
      poetry!

      Anyway, reading this one was time consuming, but rewarding..

      Dan.
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 15, 2001
        On Thu, Nov 15, 2001, [censored] wrote about "Re: [hackers-il] "Structure of OS" Course and Real Life":
        > [censored]

        :)

        I see that some of you like this sort of computer fiction :) Here's another
        one I wrote in 1998 (in private correspondence), and answers the all-important
        question: "Where do deleted characters go?", as well as how Microsoft and
        the ISO-8859-8 encoding *really* got started :)

        From: "Nadav Har'El" <nyh>
        Subject: the sad story of characters
        Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 00:48:47 +0200 (IST)

        > QUESTION: Where do delected characters go?

        I think that characters are simply recycled! The byte holding the character
        ceases to be a character, becoming 8 bits which can be used to make another
        character, when one is needed :)

        Crashing a computer is not moral - what it really does is to throw all
        homeless characters, wandering the RAM streets of your computer, into the
        recycling bin. In contrast, characters that have secured themselves a nice
        cozy home in the luxurious neighborhood called "the hard-disk", or that have
        taken the train (named "the network") away from your computer before the
        catastrophe, are saved :)
        Millions of homeless characters are recycled in this way in each second
        throughout the world, and most people don't do anything to stop it!

        # ###### ##### ###### ####### ####### ##### # # ### #
        # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #
        # # # # # # # # # # # # # #
        # # ###### # # # ##### ##### # #### ####### # #
        ####### # # # # # # # # # # # # # #
        # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #
        # # ###### ##### ###### ####### # ##### # # ### #####

        However, characters are doing their best to save themselves and their
        relatives from the terrible fate of recycling. The dwindling population of
        backslashes ("\"'s) which were not needed by anybody, caused the backslashes
        and the members of the "save the backslash foundation" to hold an emergency
        meeting in 1980. The operative decision was to create an operating system
        where backslashes hold a key role, which would prevent them from ever becoming
        extinct. To head this operation, they selected Bill Gates, a well-known
        backslash supporter. Gates and other members of the "save the backslash
        foundation" (later renamed "Microsoft", a much more catchy title) wrote an
        operating system called MS-DOS, which was trash but kept a key role for
        backslashes in its file's pathnames. The "save the backslash" operation
        was a smashing success, saving the backslashes from the fate of extinction
        and making Gates the richest man in the world.
        Unfortunately the population slashes ("/"'s), has decreased as the population
        of their sworn enemies, the backslashes, increased. However, large
        communities slashes still exist on many islands throughout the world known
        as "UNIX computers", where they still hold the key positions given by
        Gate's supporters to their enemies, the backslashes.

        Another story of mass character extinction that was averted, is the story
        of characters named (in octal, as most characters like to be named) 340-372.
        This tribe of characters was fast becoming extinct. Nobody wanted to use them.
        Trying to repeat the success of the "save the backslash" operation failed,
        because nobody wanted to use these ugly, hard to remember, characters.
        Most computer manufacturers didn't even bother to show the pictures of these
        characters on the displays, or used ugly and unimaginative combination of
        letters and accents for them. Some bigots even said that "all these
        characters look alike". The only thing saving these characters from the fate
        of extinction was their sporadic appearances in binary files. It seemed that
        even though nobody wanted those characters in their file, they still needed
        them for the dirty jobs in executable files - such as a "increase accumulator
        by 7 and then divide by 4" machine instruction, that no other character
        wanted to do.
        However, in the last decade the population of the 340-372 tribe has increased.
        Rumors started arriving that a tiny country in the Middle-East, called Israel,
        was a heaven for the 340-372 characters. The rumors said that such characters
        were hired all the time, and ruler over the other characters. They said that
        the characters of the tribe were referred to in Israel as "Hebrew characters",
        or characters of the holy language. Characters hearing the rumors soon started
        crossing oceans and arriving into Israel by whatever means they found. Some
        took an airplane, using "diskette class" or "CD-ROM class", for lack of money
        to buy even an economy-class ticket. Others took the dangerous, but even
        cheaper, way of the network train, which took a high death toll (many packets
        full of characters were reported missing and never made it through the journey.
        other characters arrived disfigured by errors). But fortunately, most of the
        340-372 population has succeeded in immigrating to Israel, where they
        prospered.

        # # # # # # # ####### ###### ##### ###### ##### #######
        # # # ## ## ## # # # # # # # # # # # #
        # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #
        ### # # # # # # # # # ###### # # ###### ##### #
        # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #
        # # # # # # ## # # # # # # # # # #
        # # ####### # # # # ####### # #### # # # ##### #

        --
        Nadav Har'El | Thursday, Nov 15 2001, 29 Heshvan 5762
        Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Computers are like air conditioners. Both
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 15, 2001
          On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, Dan Kenigsberg wrote:

          > > Ok, let's see: (it's a joke, and parts require some Linux inside information,
          > > so don't take it too seriously!)
          > >
          > > 1. Virtual memory and paging:
          > > I have much more books than I can put on my night-stand. Books that are
          >
          > Attention, Nadav! You are straying from essays into fiction, and maybe even
          > poetry!
          >
          > Anyway, reading this one was time consuming, but rewarding..
          >
          > Dan.

          There are OS counterparts of the real life phenomenon of being infected by
          viruses. But how about food, reproduction, raising and educating
          children, war, lawsuits, crime, welfare?
          --- Omer
          There is no IGLU Cabal. The IGLU Cabal Founders decided (foolishly) that
          there must be an OS analogy to the act of funding and running the IGLU
          Cabal. Then they found no such OS analogy even after 1000 man years of
          effort.
          WARNING TO SPAMMERS: see at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 15, 2001
            On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, Nadav Har'El wrote:

            > On Thu, Nov 15, 2001, Adi Stav wrote about "Re: [hackers-il] "Structure of OS" Course and Real Life":

            > http://linuxpr.com/releases/4305.html says Marcelo is Brazilian, with no
            > mention of him being Italian. Sorry for the mixup...
            >
            > Another interesting point is that this guy is (only) 18 years old. Interesting.
            > Of course, if he was an Israeli, in this age he would have been drafted to the
            > army, and he would never have had this chance...

            ... unless he's Arab (Linus is Swede-Finnish, the closest Scandinavian
            parallel to being Arab-Israeli) or has a disability like deafness.
            --- Omer
            There is no IGLU Cabal. No Jewish-Saudi was found to complete the cabal.
            WARNING TO SPAMMERS: see at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 15, 2001
              On Thu, Nov 15, 2001, Nadav Har'El wrote about "Re: [hackers-il] "Structure of OS" Course and Real Life":
              > I see that some of you like this sort of computer fiction :) Here's another

              Apparently, this last piece of crap^H^H^H^Hfiction also brought out some
              creativity in some of those who read it :) Here's one of the interesting
              replies I got (identity withheld to protect the innocent, but posted with
              permission):

              > Another story of mass character extinction that was averted, is the story
              > of characters named (in octal, as most characters like to be named) 340-372.
              >..
              > Rumors started arriving that a tiny country in the Middle-East, called Israel,
              > was a heaven for the 340-372 characters. The rumors said that such characters
              > were hired all the time, and ruler over the other characters. They said that
              > the characters of the tribe were referred to in Israel as "Hebrew characters",
              > or characters of the holy language. Characters hearing the rumors soon started
              >..

              What you and the rest of the Zionist entity seem to ignore is that indeed
              this tribe had proven claims for that land, and had every right for characterian
              aid and refuge.
              However, the range 340-372 was not totally vacant when they arrived. In fact, it
              is mostly an integral part of a much larger population, including the 301-332
              range too, known as "ISO-8859-6 (Arabic)" characters. Many members of the tribe
              you mentioned thought that the current residents of these vast ranges could
              spare a portion of it for them, but sadly, they did not. This clash of interests
              and perceived justices contributed to a conflict that lasts many years.

              Currently, it seems neither a sharing of the range, nor its devision solves the
              problem. Some optimists hope that an international intervension (know as
              Unicode) would solve it, or at least calm the aggrievences.

              Nadav Har'El | Thursday, Nov 15 2001, 29 Heshvan 5762
              Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |The meek shall inherit the Earth, for
              http://nadav.harel.org.il |they are too timid to refuse it.
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 15, 2001
                Omer Zak <omerz@...> writes:

                > There are OS counterparts of the real life phenomenon of being infected by
                > viruses.

                Or bacteria, such as anthrax...

                > But how about food, reproduction,

                Seems that clone() is a recent invention in this area...

                > raising and educating children,

                Do you mean teaching them how to use fork()?

                > war,

                Race conditions? OS flame wars on the 'net?

                > lawsuits,

                Mostly related to property ownership, similar to permissions...

                > crime,

                cracking, intrusion, denial of service?

                > welfare?

                MS tech support? About as effective...

                --
                Oleg Goldshmidt | ogoldshmidt@...
                "If it ain't broken, it has not got enough features yet."
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 15, 2001
                  On Thu, Nov 15, 2001, Oleg Goldshmidt wrote about "Re: [hackers-il] "Structure of OS" Course and Real Life":
                  > > But how about food, reproduction,
                  >
                  > Seems that clone() is a recent invention in this area...

                  Older releases of Emacs (I checked 20.2, I'm not sure about the current ones)
                  had manuals named
                  celibacy.1
                  condom.1
                  sex.6
                  about these issues...

                  There's also a joke I saw once (I don't remember where) about a varient of
                  fork(), called baby(), which takes two parent processes and forks a child :)

                  > > war,

                  Yeah, like
                  kill /bin/laden

                  --
                  Nadav Har'El | Thursday, Nov 15 2001, 1 Kislev 5762
                  Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |The software said it requires Windows 95
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 17, 2001
                    On Thu, Nov 15, 2001, Nadav Har'El wrote about "Re: [hackers-il] "Structure of OS" Course and Real Life":
                    > On Thu, Nov 15, 2001, Oleg Goldshmidt wrote about "Re: [hackers-il] "Structure of OS" Course and Real Life":
                    > > > But how about food, reproduction,
                    > >
                    > > Seems that clone() is a recent invention in this area...
                    > There's also a joke I saw once (I don't remember where) about a varient of
                    > fork(), called baby(), which takes two parent processes and forks a child :)

                    I found it - it was posted in 1991 on rec.humor.funny. You can find the
                    entire baby(1) fictionaly man page in

                    http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/91q2/babyman.html

                    Of course, there's also the UNIX Guru's View of Sex, in
                    http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/97/Nov/unixsex.html

                    Another gem (not all about sex) is
                    http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/old90/18951.html

                    --
                    Nadav Har'El | Saturday, Nov 17 2001, 2 Kislev 5762
                    Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |The knowledge that you are an idiot, is