RE: [hackers-il] "Structure of OS" Course and Real Life

  • Omer Musaev
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 15, 2001

      Al was born in Russia, so he can be called European too....
    • Dan Kenigsberg
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 15, 2001

        > Ok, let's see: (it's a joke, and parts require some Linux inside information,
        > so don't take it too seriously!)
        >
        > 1. Virtual memory and paging:
        > I have much more books than I can put on my night-stand. Books that are

        Attention, Nadav! You are straying from essays into fiction, and maybe even
        poetry!

        Anyway, reading this one was time consuming, but rewarding..

        Dan.
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 15, 2001
          On Thu, Nov 15, 2001, [censored] wrote about "Re: [hackers-il] "Structure of OS" Course and Real Life":
          > [censored]

          :)

          I see that some of you like this sort of computer fiction :) Here's another
          one I wrote in 1998 (in private correspondence), and answers the all-important
          question: "Where do deleted characters go?", as well as how Microsoft and
          the ISO-8859-8 encoding *really* got started :)

          From: "Nadav Har'El" <nyh>
          Subject: the sad story of characters
          Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 00:48:47 +0200 (IST)

          > QUESTION: Where do delected characters go?

          I think that characters are simply recycled! The byte holding the character
          ceases to be a character, becoming 8 bits which can be used to make another
          character, when one is needed :)

          Crashing a computer is not moral - what it really does is to throw all
          homeless characters, wandering the RAM streets of your computer, into the
          recycling bin. In contrast, characters that have secured themselves a nice
          cozy home in the luxurious neighborhood called "the hard-disk", or that have
          taken the train (named "the network") away from your computer before the
          catastrophe, are saved :)
          Millions of homeless characters are recycled in this way in each second
          throughout the world, and most people don't do anything to stop it!

          # ###### ##### ###### ####### ####### ##### # # ### #
          # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #
          # # # # # # # # # # # # # #
          # # ###### # # # ##### ##### # #### ####### # #
          ####### # # # # # # # # # # # # # #
          # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #
          # # ###### ##### ###### ####### # ##### # # ### #####

          However, characters are doing their best to save themselves and their
          relatives from the terrible fate of recycling. The dwindling population of
          backslashes ("\"'s) which were not needed by anybody, caused the backslashes
          and the members of the "save the backslash foundation" to hold an emergency
          meeting in 1980. The operative decision was to create an operating system
          where backslashes hold a key role, which would prevent them from ever becoming
          extinct. To head this operation, they selected Bill Gates, a well-known
          backslash supporter. Gates and other members of the "save the backslash
          foundation" (later renamed "Microsoft", a much more catchy title) wrote an
          operating system called MS-DOS, which was trash but kept a key role for
          backslashes in its file's pathnames. The "save the backslash" operation
          was a smashing success, saving the backslashes from the fate of extinction
          and making Gates the richest man in the world.
          Unfortunately the population slashes ("/"'s), has decreased as the population
          of their sworn enemies, the backslashes, increased. However, large
          communities slashes still exist on many islands throughout the world known
          as "UNIX computers", where they still hold the key positions given by
          Gate's supporters to their enemies, the backslashes.

          Another story of mass character extinction that was averted, is the story
          of characters named (in octal, as most characters like to be named) 340-372.
          This tribe of characters was fast becoming extinct. Nobody wanted to use them.
          Trying to repeat the success of the "save the backslash" operation failed,
          because nobody wanted to use these ugly, hard to remember, characters.
          Most computer manufacturers didn't even bother to show the pictures of these
          characters on the displays, or used ugly and unimaginative combination of
          letters and accents for them. Some bigots even said that "all these
          characters look alike". The only thing saving these characters from the fate
          of extinction was their sporadic appearances in binary files. It seemed that
          even though nobody wanted those characters in their file, they still needed
          them for the dirty jobs in executable files - such as a "increase accumulator
          by 7 and then divide by 4" machine instruction, that no other character
          wanted to do.
          However, in the last decade the population of the 340-372 tribe has increased.
          Rumors started arriving that a tiny country in the Middle-East, called Israel,
          was a heaven for the 340-372 characters. The rumors said that such characters
          were hired all the time, and ruler over the other characters. They said that
          the characters of the tribe were referred to in Israel as "Hebrew characters",
          or characters of the holy language. Characters hearing the rumors soon started
          crossing oceans and arriving into Israel by whatever means they found. Some
          took an airplane, using "diskette class" or "CD-ROM class", for lack of money
          to buy even an economy-class ticket. Others took the dangerous, but even
          cheaper, way of the network train, which took a high death toll (many packets
          full of characters were reported missing and never made it through the journey.
          other characters arrived disfigured by errors). But fortunately, most of the
          340-372 population has succeeded in immigrating to Israel, where they
          prospered.

          # # # # # # # ####### ###### ##### ###### ##### #######
          # # # ## ## ## # # # # # # # # # # # #
          # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #
          ### # # # # # # # # # ###### # # ###### ##### #
          # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #
          # # # # # # ## # # # # # # # # # #
          # # ####### # # # # ####### # #### # # # ##### #

          --
          Nadav Har'El | Thursday, Nov 15 2001, 29 Heshvan 5762
          Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Computers are like air conditioners. Both
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 15, 2001
            On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, Dan Kenigsberg wrote:

            > > Ok, let's see: (it's a joke, and parts require some Linux inside information,
            > > so don't take it too seriously!)
            > >
            > > 1. Virtual memory and paging:
            > > I have much more books than I can put on my night-stand. Books that are
            >
            > Attention, Nadav! You are straying from essays into fiction, and maybe even
            > poetry!
            >
            > Anyway, reading this one was time consuming, but rewarding..
            >
            > Dan.

            There are OS counterparts of the real life phenomenon of being infected by
            viruses. But how about food, reproduction, raising and educating
            children, war, lawsuits, crime, welfare?
            --- Omer
            There is no IGLU Cabal. The IGLU Cabal Founders decided (foolishly) that
            there must be an OS analogy to the act of funding and running the IGLU
            Cabal. Then they found no such OS analogy even after 1000 man years of
            effort.
            WARNING TO SPAMMERS: see at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 15, 2001
              On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, Nadav Har'El wrote:

              > On Thu, Nov 15, 2001, Adi Stav wrote about "Re: [hackers-il] "Structure of OS" Course and Real Life":

              > http://linuxpr.com/releases/4305.html says Marcelo is Brazilian, with no
              > mention of him being Italian. Sorry for the mixup...
              >
              > Another interesting point is that this guy is (only) 18 years old. Interesting.
              > Of course, if he was an Israeli, in this age he would have been drafted to the
              > army, and he would never have had this chance...

              ... unless he's Arab (Linus is Swede-Finnish, the closest Scandinavian
              parallel to being Arab-Israeli) or has a disability like deafness.
              --- Omer
              There is no IGLU Cabal. No Jewish-Saudi was found to complete the cabal.
              WARNING TO SPAMMERS: see at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 15, 2001
                On Thu, Nov 15, 2001, Nadav Har'El wrote about "Re: [hackers-il] "Structure of OS" Course and Real Life":
                > I see that some of you like this sort of computer fiction :) Here's another

                Apparently, this last piece of crap^H^H^H^Hfiction also brought out some
                creativity in some of those who read it :) Here's one of the interesting
                replies I got (identity withheld to protect the innocent, but posted with
                permission):

                > Another story of mass character extinction that was averted, is the story
                > of characters named (in octal, as most characters like to be named) 340-372.
                >..
                > Rumors started arriving that a tiny country in the Middle-East, called Israel,
                > was a heaven for the 340-372 characters. The rumors said that such characters
                > were hired all the time, and ruler over the other characters. They said that
                > the characters of the tribe were referred to in Israel as "Hebrew characters",
                > or characters of the holy language. Characters hearing the rumors soon started
                >..

                What you and the rest of the Zionist entity seem to ignore is that indeed
                this tribe had proven claims for that land, and had every right for characterian
                aid and refuge.
                However, the range 340-372 was not totally vacant when they arrived. In fact, it
                is mostly an integral part of a much larger population, including the 301-332
                range too, known as "ISO-8859-6 (Arabic)" characters. Many members of the tribe
                you mentioned thought that the current residents of these vast ranges could
                spare a portion of it for them, but sadly, they did not. This clash of interests
                and perceived justices contributed to a conflict that lasts many years.

                Currently, it seems neither a sharing of the range, nor its devision solves the
                problem. Some optimists hope that an international intervension (know as
                Unicode) would solve it, or at least calm the aggrievences.

                Nadav Har'El | Thursday, Nov 15 2001, 29 Heshvan 5762
                Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |The meek shall inherit the Earth, for
                http://nadav.harel.org.il |they are too timid to refuse it.
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 15, 2001
                  Omer Zak <omerz@...> writes:

                  > There are OS counterparts of the real life phenomenon of being infected by
                  > viruses.

                  Or bacteria, such as anthrax...

                  > But how about food, reproduction,

                  Seems that clone() is a recent invention in this area...

                  > raising and educating children,

                  Do you mean teaching them how to use fork()?

                  > war,

                  Race conditions? OS flame wars on the 'net?

                  > lawsuits,

                  Mostly related to property ownership, similar to permissions...

                  > crime,

                  cracking, intrusion, denial of service?

                  > welfare?

                  MS tech support? About as effective...

                  --
                  Oleg Goldshmidt | ogoldshmidt@...
                  "If it ain't broken, it has not got enough features yet."
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 15, 2001
                    On Thu, Nov 15, 2001, Oleg Goldshmidt wrote about "Re: [hackers-il] "Structure of OS" Course and Real Life":
                    > > But how about food, reproduction,
                    >
                    > Seems that clone() is a recent invention in this area...

                    Older releases of Emacs (I checked 20.2, I'm not sure about the current ones)
                    had manuals named
                    celibacy.1
                    condom.1
                    sex.6
                    about these issues...

                    There's also a joke I saw once (I don't remember where) about a varient of
                    fork(), called baby(), which takes two parent processes and forks a child :)

                    > > war,

                    Yeah, like
                    kill /bin/laden

                    --
                    Nadav Har'El | Thursday, Nov 15 2001, 1 Kislev 5762
                    Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |The software said it requires Windows 95
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 17, 2001
                      On Thu, Nov 15, 2001, Nadav Har'El wrote about "Re: [hackers-il] "Structure of OS" Course and Real Life":
                      > On Thu, Nov 15, 2001, Oleg Goldshmidt wrote about "Re: [hackers-il] "Structure of OS" Course and Real Life":
                      > > > But how about food, reproduction,
                      > >
                      > > Seems that clone() is a recent invention in this area...
                      > There's also a joke I saw once (I don't remember where) about a varient of
                      > fork(), called baby(), which takes two parent processes and forks a child :)

                      I found it - it was posted in 1991 on rec.humor.funny. You can find the
                      entire baby(1) fictionaly man page in

                      http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/91q2/babyman.html

                      Of course, there's also the UNIX Guru's View of Sex, in
                      http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/97/Nov/unixsex.html

                      Another gem (not all about sex) is
                      http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/old90/18951.html

                      --
                      Nadav Har'El | Saturday, Nov 17 2001, 2 Kislev 5762
                      Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |The knowledge that you are an idiot, is