looking for a "client pool" simulator

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 13, 2001
      Hi everybody,

      I am developing an application that is related to a server that is
      supposed to respond to requests from numerous clients, and I need a
      framework to test it. I do not have the resources to create multiple
      physical clients, so I need a means to simulate them on a single
      computer.

      I am looking for a tool that is able to simulate a large number of
      clients with different IP addresses, the clients will send TCP and/or
      UDP traffic to the server, the server will send traffic in response,
      and the response has to be processed on the computer running the
      clients (not necessarily by each client, though that might be helpful;
      minimally, I only need to verify that the response was _sent_ by the
      server where it was supposed to be sent).

      I envisage something like a host running a "client pool", with the
      clients sending, for the sake of the argument, http GET (or other, I
      am just using http as an example) requests to a web server at a rather
      high rate, in random order. The clients IP addresses will be taken
      from a pool, and the host will be the gateway to the whole pool of
      addresses, as far as the server is concerned. Thus, all the traffic
      from the server will get to the host, and will somehow be captured
      there and analyzed.

      I am primarily be interested in the "client pool" simulation
      application, the rest (response capture etc) I can handle myself. If
      there is a tool that does all the job, great.

      I would like the whole thing to be open source and licensed so that I
      could use it for commercial development (without including any code
      into the final product). I'd prefer it to be portable between
      different UNICes (if M$ is thrown it, fine), but at least it should
      work on linux/x86.

      Does anyone know of any such client pool simulator? I suppose I can
      write one, but if there is one ready I'd like to take advantage of it.
      Any suggestions as to how to design and implement one, what to pay
      attention to, etc, are also welcome.

      As I mentioned above, the context is commercial, so I can't provide
      much detail regarding what I am doing exactly. This should not be
      relevant, because the server in question can be, say, a vanilla web
      server, and I am only interested in verifying that it gets the
      requests and the clients get the right replies under various
      conditions. If what I wrote is too vague, I'll try to clarify as much
      as I can.

      Thanks in advance,

      --
      Oleg Goldshmidt | ogoldshmidt@...
      "If it ain't broken, it has not got enough features yet."