Looking for a certain TAU Mathematics Professor

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 6, 2001
      I'm looking for a TAU professor which I attended a lecture of his during
      High School. He seems to be interested in the subject I will describe
      shortly, and I'd like to get in touch with him because I have made some
      progress in the subject, some time after the lecture.

      From what I remember his name was Amos Erlich or something similar. The
      problem is that there is no such professor in the Math department of TAU.
      In any case, he holds lectures and discussions about the subject in
      various places in Israel (or from what he told us, in the world).

      Here is a description of the subject:

      Let's take the transformation i -> (2*i (mod n)). Now let's plot a graph
      whose nodes are all the possible modulos for n, i.e. 0 - (n-1). Now we
      explore the different shapes formed in this graph, how it is derived from
      its factors, etc.

      If:
      1. A is A
      2. A is not not-A
      does it imply that
      1. B is B
      2. B is not not-B
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 6, 2001
        I forgot to mention that I remember he was a religious (but not orthodox)
        Jew.

        If:
        1. A is A
        2. A is not not-A
        does it imply that
        1. B is B
        2. B is not not-B
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 7, 2001
          Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> writes:

          > >From what I remember his name was Amos Erlich or something similar. The
          > problem is that there is no such professor in the Math department of
          > TAU.

          School of Education: http://www.tau.ac.il/~amos1/

          Took me exacxtly two seconds to click Search on the TAU home page and
          type his name into the Google prompt. The only difference was that it
          was natural to me to spell his name as Amos Ehrlich...

          --
          Oleg Goldshmidt | ogoldshmidt@...
          "If it ain't broken, it has not got enough features yet."
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 7, 2001
            On 7 Nov 2001, Oleg Goldshmidt wrote:

            > Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> writes:
            [... snipped ...]
            > Took me exacxtly two seconds to click Search on the TAU home page and
            > type his name into the Google prompt. The only difference was that it
            > was natural to me to spell his name as Amos Ehrlich...

            What is needed to get the quick Search engines available in Web sites to
            use agrep-like algorithms in lieu of simple find?
            agrep would have helped Shlomi find Ehrlich when he was looking for
            Erlich.
            --- Omer
            There is no IGLU Cabal. However, plans to found one are being made in
            the timeline t = t(here) + (x + iy)/c, where x is 3.2354 light years, and
            y is 5.894583 Klingonian Parsecs.
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 7, 2001
              > What is needed to get the quick Search engines available in
              > Web sites to
              > use agrep-like algorithms in lieu of simple find?
              > agrep would have helped Shlomi find Ehrlich when he was looking for
              > Erlich.

              How would it help?
              without knowing that Erlich is spelled diffrently, you wouldn't be able to
              formulate the right regexp.

              Chen.
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 7, 2001
                Chen Shapira <chen@...> writes:

                > > What is needed to get the quick Search engines available in
                > > Web sites to
                > > use agrep-like algorithms in lieu of simple find?
                > > agrep would have helped Shlomi find Ehrlich when he was looking for
                > > Erlich.
                >
                > How would it help?
                > without knowing that Erlich is spelled diffrently, you wouldn't be able to
                > formulate the right regexp.

                No, I wouldn't. But knowing that Ehrlich could be spelled differently
                but being unsure about the actual spelling, I (and Shlomi) could use
                a regexp search. I miss regexps often when I search the web.

                I doubt that creating a web search engine would make a successful
                business plan though...

                --
                Oleg Goldshmidt | ogoldshmidt@...
                "If it ain't broken, it has not got enough features yet."
              • Adi Stav
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 7, 2001
                  On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 12:52:14PM +0200, Chen Shapira wrote:

                  > > What is needed to get the quick Search engines available in
                  > > Web sites to
                  > > use agrep-like algorithms in lieu of simple find?
                  > > agrep would have helped Shlomi find Ehrlich when he was looking for
                  > > Erlich.
                  >
                  > How would it help?
                  > without knowing that Erlich is spelled diffrently, you wouldn't be able to
                  > formulate the right regexp.

                  We need soundex in Web searches.