Re: Summary of FCS Lecture - Rev. 2

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2001
      On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Nadav Har'El wrote:

      > On Thu, Nov 01, 2001, Shlomi Fish wrote about "[hackers-il] Summary of FCS Lecture - Rev. 2":
      > > * There are 8 stacks, 4 freecells, and 4 foundations.
      > >
      > > * An atomic move consists of:
      > > - moving a card from a stack to a freecell.
      > > - moving a card from a freecell to a parent card on a stack.
      > > - moving a card from the top of a stack on top of a parent card on a
      > > different stack
      > > - moving a card from the top of a stack or from a freecell to the
      > > foundation.
      > >
      > > * A parent card is such that its rank is higher by 1 and it is of a different
      > > colour.
      > >
      > > * The foundations build by suit from Ace to King.
      > >
      > > * Each freecell can hold one card.
      >
      > I think for an ignorant like me (who played various versions of Solitaire but
      > never heard of freecell), you'll need to be a little more specific (maybe
      > it's easier to do it interactively than via email - you can even play a demo
      > on the computer, if you use one in the presentation :)), because from this
      > explanation I had to do a lot of deduction and guessing to figure out how
      > this game is played.
      >
      > What is a "stack" (I guess a stack of cards)? How many cards does it start
      > with (after all, you can't divide evenly 52 cards into 8 stacks)? From how
      > many decks of cards (I guess one 52-card deck)? are the cards in the stack
      > visible to the player or not (or only the topmost card is visible)? Do
      > "freecells" and "foundations" start empty (I'd guess yes)?

      At the beginning of the game yes, but Freecell Solver was adapted to solve
      boards in the midst of play.

      > The visibility question is obviously very important, because it (I think)
      > completely changes your ability to solve the problem (if only the topmost
      > card is visible on every stack, you can't walk the tree of all possibilties,
      > and need to make guesses that you can't undo, and come up with a probabilistic
      > solution, e.g., an algorithm which only solves 20% of the games). I think,
      > by the way, that these probabilistic and invisibility issues are what make
      > a solitaire game fun and interesting, rather than a very hard riddle.

      In Freecell all cards are visible at the beginning of play. In any case, I
      don't find the fact that all cards are revealed in Freecell, to lessen its
      fun factor.

      > Please define "parent card" before you first use it.
      >
      > What is the goal of the game? My guess: to build 4 piles, each of a different
      > suite, from ace to king, and I guess you called these the "foundations"?

      There are 4 special piles called foundations, to which all the cards need
      to be moved. (from ace to king).

      > Is there no additional large pile of cards like I know from other solitare
      > games - just the "stacks" that start off with all the cards?

      There is no Talon in Freecell, because all the cards are dealt to the
      piles. (I decided to call those piles "stacks" because they behave much
      like programming stacks).

      I guess I'll have to refine my description a bit...

      > Nadav Har'El | Thursday, Nov 1 2001, 15 Heshvan 5762
      > Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Disclaimer: The opinions expressed above
      > http://nadav.harel.org.il |are not my own.

      If:
      1. A is A
      2. A is not not-A