Re: Summary of my "Freecell Solver" lecture

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2001
      On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, guy keren wrote:

      > On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Shlomi Fish wrote:
      >
      > > This is a summary for a lecture I'm planning to give on the changes and
      > > re-factoring I made in Freecell Solver.
      > >
      > > In any case, comments, suggestions, flames are welcome. Please post them
      > > to the list.
      >
      > i'd like to make 2 general points.
      >
      > 1. you assume the listeners know what 'freecel' is and what 'freecel
      > solving' is about. you should either explain that, or prepare some
      > material that people should read before the lecture.

      Actually, I am going to introduce them to the game in the first slide or
      two. It was not included in that revision of the summary but it is there.

      > 2. you seem to assume familiarity with a former version of freecel solver,
      > which is most likely not the case. not sure how you should deal with
      > that. perhaps avoid the 'comparison part' all-together, and just
      > describe what you got now, explaining architectural decisions along the
      > way (you already seem to do that partially).

      Again, my mistake. The next revision includes a brief description of the
      architecture of Freecell Solver 0.2.

      And it is my strategical decision to explain the _changes_ I made, rather
      than focus on the current architecture as it is.

      > 3. it seems too long. note sure if/how this could be broken into more then
      > a single lecture perhaps you should chose specific aspects of the
      > architecture, and only delve into few of them - only the interesting
      > parts. for example, you could skip detailing the memory usage
      > optimizations you made, and instead just give a one-line summary of how
      > much memory (approx.) was saved due to reducing data types in general.
      > i think the algorithmic part should 'control' the better part of the
      > presentation, while only describing the data structures where it is
      > required to understand the algorithm(s), or for things you find
      > particularly interesting (if you find everything to be particularly
      > interesting, sort it by order of 'interesting attribute', and only
      > discuss the top 2-3 aspects).

      I already removed most of the minor changes I made to the program, and
      kept only those that were interesting on my part. (i.e: made me realize
      something important about programming).

      > guy
      >
      > "For world domination - press 1,
      > or dial 0, and please hold, for the creator." -- nob o. dy

      If:
      1. A is A
      2. A is not not-A
      does it imply that