Re: [hackers-il] Summary of my "Freecell Solver" lecture

  • guy keren
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2001
      On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Shlomi Fish wrote:

      > This is a summary for a lecture I'm planning to give on the changes and
      > re-factoring I made in Freecell Solver.
      >
      > In any case, comments, suggestions, flames are welcome. Please post them
      > to the list.

      i'd like to make 2 general points.

      1. you assume the listeners know what 'freecel' is and what 'freecel
      solving' is about. you should either explain that, or prepare some
      material that people should read before the lecture.

      2. you seem to assume familiarity with a former version of freecel solver,
      which is most likely not the case. not sure how you should deal with
      that. perhaps avoid the 'comparison part' all-together, and just
      describe what you got now, explaining architectural decisions along the
      way (you already seem to do that partially).

      3. it seems too long. note sure if/how this could be broken into more then
      a single lecture perhaps you should chose specific aspects of the
      architecture, and only delve into few of them - only the interesting
      parts. for example, you could skip detailing the memory usage
      optimizations you made, and instead just give a one-line summary of how
      much memory (approx.) was saved due to reducing data types in general.
      i think the algorithmic part should 'control' the better part of the
      presentation, while only describing the data structures where it is
      required to understand the algorithm(s), or for things you find
      particularly interesting (if you find everything to be particularly
      interesting, sort it by order of 'interesting attribute', and only
      discuss the top 2-3 aspects).

      --
      guy

      "For world domination - press 1,
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2001
        On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, guy keren wrote:

        > On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Shlomi Fish wrote:
        >
        > > This is a summary for a lecture I'm planning to give on the changes and
        > > re-factoring I made in Freecell Solver.
        > >
        > > In any case, comments, suggestions, flames are welcome. Please post them
        > > to the list.
        >
        > i'd like to make 2 general points.
        >
        > 1. you assume the listeners know what 'freecel' is and what 'freecel
        > solving' is about. you should either explain that, or prepare some
        > material that people should read before the lecture.

        Actually, I am going to introduce them to the game in the first slide or
        two. It was not included in that revision of the summary but it is there.

        > 2. you seem to assume familiarity with a former version of freecel solver,
        > which is most likely not the case. not sure how you should deal with
        > that. perhaps avoid the 'comparison part' all-together, and just
        > describe what you got now, explaining architectural decisions along the
        > way (you already seem to do that partially).

        Again, my mistake. The next revision includes a brief description of the
        architecture of Freecell Solver 0.2.

        And it is my strategical decision to explain the _changes_ I made, rather
        than focus on the current architecture as it is.

        > 3. it seems too long. note sure if/how this could be broken into more then
        > a single lecture perhaps you should chose specific aspects of the
        > architecture, and only delve into few of them - only the interesting
        > parts. for example, you could skip detailing the memory usage
        > optimizations you made, and instead just give a one-line summary of how
        > much memory (approx.) was saved due to reducing data types in general.
        > i think the algorithmic part should 'control' the better part of the
        > presentation, while only describing the data structures where it is
        > required to understand the algorithm(s), or for things you find
        > particularly interesting (if you find everything to be particularly
        > interesting, sort it by order of 'interesting attribute', and only
        > discuss the top 2-3 aspects).

        I already removed most of the minor changes I made to the program, and
        kept only those that were interesting on my part. (i.e: made me realize
        something important about programming).

        > guy
        >
        > "For world domination - press 1,
        > or dial 0, and please hold, for the creator." -- nob o. dy

        If:
        1. A is A
        2. A is not not-A
        does it imply that