Re: Re: Is Open-Content and/or Collaborative Written Art OT on Freshmeat?

    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 28, 2001
      On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

      > On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, Shlomi Fish wrote:
      >
      > > On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, mulix wrote:
      > >
      > > > shut up and show them the code, in other words.
      > >
      > > I mostly agree with that. However, part of the reason why I started
      > > humanity in the bazaar kind of way was that I wanted to get feedback,
      > > suggestions, and even "code" from other people. Of course, the more
      > > announcements I put for it on Freshmeat the more links I get, and the more
      > > people will hear about the project, and the more people contribute, etc.
      >
      > Shlomi, consider yourself as someone who wants to promot some political
      > agenda. It is important to you, although you may not have a direct benefit
      > from that. You try to make others accept your views of the matter.
      >
      > Consider a couple of things:
      >
      > * most people that will visit the site will not want to contribute (most
      > hits are not sells)

      I realize this fact.

      > * You should not over-promote your project, e.g.: by spamming and by
      > creating un-necessary announcements. People learn to filter-out such
      > announcements.

      I'm trying to promote the project for a one time thing at its
      announcement.

      > > This process, however, is quite slow, judging from what happened at
      > > Freecell Solver. Anyway, this should be the next ThinkGeek slogan:
      > >

      > What is your point here? That some software projects are not interesting
      > to enough people?

      I don't have a point, I was just casually mentioning a fact. It takes
      a project some time to accumulate developers and that's all there is to
      it.

      > I could be selfish and ask you to contribute to r2l, but I know that you
      > have better things to do in your spare time (freecell-solver, humanity,
      > just to mention some computer-related ones)
      >
      > --
      > Tzafrir Cohen
      > mailto:tzafrir@...
      > http://www.technion.ac.il/~tzafrir

      If:
      1. A is A
      2. A is not not-A
      does it imply that
      1. B is B
      2. B is not not-B
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 28, 2001
        On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, mulix wrote:

        > On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, Shlomi Fish wrote:
        >
        > > On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, mulix wrote:
        > >
        > > > shut up and show them the code, in other words.
        > >
        > > I mostly agree with that. However, part of the reason why I started
        > > humanity in the bazaar kind of way was that I wanted to get feedback,
        > > suggestions, and even "code" from other people. Of course, the more
        > > announcements I put for it on Freshmeat the more links I get, and the more
        > > people will hear about the project, and the more people contribute, etc.
        >
        > no necessarily, people learn fairly quickly to filter out noise. post
        > once a week/month - it's usefull. post once a day - it's noise.

        Of course I'm not going to post every little change. But I'm going to post
        enough for people to get the hang of the major changes.

        > > This process, however, is quite slow, judging from what happened at
        > > Freecell Solver.
        >
        > i think that contrary to what many people might think, most "bazaar
        > style" projects have a small core group of people that do most of the
        > work. i seem to recall reading something by alan cox to that effect,
        > too.
        >
        > can you think of any big software project where many (let's say, more
        > than 10?) people work on te *same* pieces of code, regularly?

        Well, parrot (the perl6 bytecode interpreter) seems to be such a case. And
        also the Linux Kernel. But naturally, they are relatively exceptional
        cases.

        In any case, the "bazaar" way of doing things has some properties, besides
        the fact that "many" people co-operate on the code.

        > mulix
        >
        > http://www.pointer.co.il/~mulix/
        > http://syscalltrack.sf.net/

        If: