Trademarks (was: Re: [hackers-il] Re: Is Open-Content and/or Collaborative Written Art OT on Freshmeat?)

    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 28, 2001
      On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, Shlomi Fish wrote:

      > BTW, I'd like to borrow the expression "There is no IGLU Cabal!"
      > for "Humanity" discussions. My interpretation of its meaning is "Is
      > not, Never happened, and never will happen". Sort of like "Lo Hayu Dvarim
      > Me'olam" or "Lo Dobim Ve'Lo Ya'ar" in Hebrew.
      >
      > OmerZ, being the Chief Self-Contradicting Identification Officer of IGLU
      > and Hackers-IL, do you approve of this meaning?

      I disclaim any copyright or trademark claims of the above phrase.
      I am not the original author of the phrase (Moshe Zadka IIRC).

      However, in order to reduce the equivalent of "trademark dilution", can
      you choose another name for an organization which is not supposed to
      exist, never existed, will never exist, but there are all kinds of
      unexplained traces of its existence?

      If not, go ahead with the IGLU Cabal.
      --- Omer
      There is no IGLU Cabal. The organization had to change its name due to an
      ugly and silly trademark dilution dispute. The new name is kept secret to
      prevent further trademark disputes.
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 28, 2001
        On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, Nadav Har'El wrote:

        > On Sun, Oct 28, 2001, Shlomi Fish wrote about "[hackers-il] Is Open-Content and/or Collaborative Written Art OT on Freshmeat?":
        > >
        > > Refer to:
        > >
        > > http://freshmeat.net/projects/humanity/
        > >
        > > (once it is back on-line)
        > >
        > > Basically, a certain bloke there said that FM was not the right place for
        > > "this kind of ****". I answered that I think it is because:
        >
        > Regardless of how interesting or commendable your effort is, I also agree
        > that Freshmeat isn't exactly the natural home for such announcements...
        >
        > [snipped...]

        The problem is that there are also fortune collections, documents and
        other stuff that are only partially related to software. So I don't think
        it doesn't belong there. Of course, if my way of doing things<tm> becomes
        commonplace, it would probably be a better idea to start a separate
        forum/bill board for that.

        But what the hell - who is John Galt?

        > But all that being said - if you got your project listed on Freshmeat without
        > them objecting, enjoy it and use it :) Good luck!

        Thanks!

        > --
        > Nadav Har'El | Sunday, Oct 28 2001, 11 Heshvan 5762
        > Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |How long a minute depends on what side of
        > http://nadav.harel.org.il |the bathroom door you're on.

        If:
        1. A is A
        2. A is not not-A
        does it imply that
        1. B is B
        2. B is not not-B
      • mulix
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 28, 2001
          On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, Shlomi Fish wrote:

          > On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, mulix wrote:
          >
          > > shut up and show them the code, in other words.
          >
          > I mostly agree with that. However, part of the reason why I started
          > humanity in the bazaar kind of way was that I wanted to get feedback,
          > suggestions, and even "code" from other people. Of course, the more
          > announcements I put for it on Freshmeat the more links I get, and the more
          > people will hear about the project, and the more people contribute, etc.

          no necessarily, people learn fairly quickly to filter out noise. post
          once a week/month - it's usefull. post once a day - it's noise.

          > This process, however, is quite slow, judging from what happened at
          > Freecell Solver.

          i think that contrary to what many people might think, most "bazaar
          style" projects have a small core group of people that do most of the
          work. i seem to recall reading something by alan cox to that effect,
          too.

          can you think of any big software project where many (let's say, more
          than 10?) people work on te *same* pieces of code, regularly?

          --
          mulix

          http://www.pointer.co.il/~mulix/
          http://syscalltrack.sf.net/
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 28, 2001
            On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

            > On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, Shlomi Fish wrote:
            >
            > > On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, mulix wrote:
            > >
            > > > shut up and show them the code, in other words.
            > >
            > > I mostly agree with that. However, part of the reason why I started
            > > humanity in the bazaar kind of way was that I wanted to get feedback,
            > > suggestions, and even "code" from other people. Of course, the more
            > > announcements I put for it on Freshmeat the more links I get, and the more
            > > people will hear about the project, and the more people contribute, etc.
            >
            > Shlomi, consider yourself as someone who wants to promot some political
            > agenda. It is important to you, although you may not have a direct benefit
            > from that. You try to make others accept your views of the matter.
            >
            > Consider a couple of things:
            >
            > * most people that will visit the site will not want to contribute (most
            > hits are not sells)

            I realize this fact.

            > * You should not over-promote your project, e.g.: by spamming and by
            > creating un-necessary announcements. People learn to filter-out such
            > announcements.

            I'm trying to promote the project for a one time thing at its
            announcement.

            > > This process, however, is quite slow, judging from what happened at
            > > Freecell Solver. Anyway, this should be the next ThinkGeek slogan:
            > >

            > What is your point here? That some software projects are not interesting
            > to enough people?

            I don't have a point, I was just casually mentioning a fact. It takes
            a project some time to accumulate developers and that's all there is to
            it.

            > I could be selfish and ask you to contribute to r2l, but I know that you
            > have better things to do in your spare time (freecell-solver, humanity,
            > just to mention some computer-related ones)
            >
            > --
            > Tzafrir Cohen
            > mailto:tzafrir@...
            > http://www.technion.ac.il/~tzafrir

            If:
            1. A is A
            2. A is not not-A
            does it imply that
            1. B is B
            2. B is not not-B
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 28, 2001
              On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, mulix wrote:

              > On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, Shlomi Fish wrote:
              >
              > > On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, mulix wrote:
              > >
              > > > shut up and show them the code, in other words.
              > >
              > > I mostly agree with that. However, part of the reason why I started
              > > humanity in the bazaar kind of way was that I wanted to get feedback,
              > > suggestions, and even "code" from other people. Of course, the more
              > > announcements I put for it on Freshmeat the more links I get, and the more
              > > people will hear about the project, and the more people contribute, etc.
              >
              > no necessarily, people learn fairly quickly to filter out noise. post
              > once a week/month - it's usefull. post once a day - it's noise.

              Of course I'm not going to post every little change. But I'm going to post
              enough for people to get the hang of the major changes.

              > > This process, however, is quite slow, judging from what happened at
              > > Freecell Solver.
              >
              > i think that contrary to what many people might think, most "bazaar
              > style" projects have a small core group of people that do most of the
              > work. i seem to recall reading something by alan cox to that effect,
              > too.
              >
              > can you think of any big software project where many (let's say, more
              > than 10?) people work on te *same* pieces of code, regularly?

              Well, parrot (the perl6 bytecode interpreter) seems to be such a case. And
              also the Linux Kernel. But naturally, they are relatively exceptional
              cases.

              In any case, the "bazaar" way of doing things has some properties, besides
              the fact that "many" people co-operate on the code.

              > mulix
              >
              > http://www.pointer.co.il/~mulix/
              > http://syscalltrack.sf.net/

              If: