Re: Express Invocation of Godwin's Law (was: Re: [hackers-il] The hippies, drug addicts and idiots who don't use Linux)

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 5, 2001
      On Fri, Oct 05, 2001, Omer Zak wrote about "Express Invocation of Godwin's Law (was: Re: [hackers-il] The hippies, drug addicts and idiots who don't use Linux)":
      > > No, I haven't seen any signs of anti-semitism from Linus like several
      > I am hereby invoking the non-classical form of Godwin's Law, by pointing
      > out the fact that the first quote compares Linus to Nazis, for the purpose
      > of saying that he is not similar to them.

      No - saying some *isn't* an anti-semite isn't the same as comparing him to
      Nazis....

      But I hearby invoke the second-order Gowin's law, because you compared me
      to someone comparing someone else to Nazis! ;)

      --
      Nadav Har'El | Friday, Oct 5 2001, 18 Tishri 5762
      Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |New! Divorcee Barbie! Comes with all the
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 5, 2001
        On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 12:27:04AM +0200, Nadav Har'El wrote:
        [snip]
        > And today (Oct 4, 2001), Linus himself graced us with the following gem
        > about the Hurd people (in a discussion about why the Hurd implements some
        > parameter to mmap() that Linux doesn't)
        >
        > "Trust me. The people who came up with MAP_COPY were stupid. Really. It's
        > an idiotic concept, and it's not worth implementing.
        > In short: just say NO TO DRUGS, and maybe you won't end up like the Hurd
        > people."
        >
        > Interesting concept... Accusing everyone who doesn't agree with you to being
        > stoned...
        [snip]

        ...And not for the first time. Linus has always been known for his
        vicious attacks on ideas he considers sub-optimal. I disagree that
        we should consider it bigotry or prejudice; Linus attacks all ideas
        he doesn't like with with an equally strong language.

        By the way, I consider the related technical discussion fascinating.