The hippies, drug addicts and idiots who don't use Linux

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 2001
      Reading the linux-kernel mailing list (deluge warning!), one gets to see
      some gems of bigotry from otherwise nice people.

      No, I haven't seen any signs of anti-semitism from Linus like several
      people alleged on linux-il after September 11; The bigotry is usually
      directed towards
      <TADAM> People who choose not to use Linux! </TADAM>

      Putting down Microsoft and Microsoft users is so standard, that nobody (in
      the Linux circles) even notices it any more. But it doesn't stop there.

      Do you use FreeBSD? Well, on Jun 15, 2001, some Albert Cahalan
      (acahalan@...) said: [regarding why FreeBSD has a block cursor and
      Linux doesn't - I already posted a more complete excerpt in this mailing list]

      "Of course FreeBSD has a block cursor. It was easy to program,
      and it seems nice to the pot-smoking hippies out in Berkeley."

      And today (Oct 4, 2001), Linus himself graced us with the following gem
      about the Hurd people (in a discussion about why the Hurd implements some
      parameter to mmap() that Linux doesn't)

      "Trust me. The people who came up with MAP_COPY were stupid. Really. It's
      an idiotic concept, and it's not worth implementing.
      In short: just say NO TO DRUGS, and maybe you won't end up like the Hurd
      people."

      Interesting concept... Accusing everyone who doesn't agree with you to being
      stoned...

      In many Internet circles, there's a principle called "Godwin's Law" (see
      for example http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/legends/godwin/). This principle
      says that threads that deteriorate to ugly mud-slinging usually end up
      comparing someone to Nazis, and at that point someone else must invoke
      "Godwin's Law" and declare the thread cancled and no-one is to reply to it
      again.
      I think a similar law should be declared in the linux-kernel mailing list,
      this time regarding insinuations of drug use ;)

      "First they went after the Communists,
      and I did not stand up, because I was not a Communist.
      Then they went after the Jews,
      and I did not stand up, because I was not a Jew.
      Then they went after the Catholics,
      and I did not stand up, because I was Protestant.
      Finally, they went after me,
      and there was no one left to stand up for me."
      -- Pastor Martin Neimoller, 1968 (paraphrasing)

      --
      Nadav Har'El | Thursday, Oct 4 2001, 18 Tishri 5762
      Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Early bird gets the worm, but the second
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 4, 2001
        On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, Nadav Har'El wrote:

        > Reading the linux-kernel mailing list (deluge warning!), one gets to see
        > some gems of bigotry from otherwise nice people.
        >
        > No, I haven't seen any signs of anti-semitism from Linus like several
        > people alleged on linux-il after September 11; The bigotry is usually
        > directed towards
        > <TADAM> People who choose not to use Linux! </TADAM>

        [... snipped, see below ...]

        > In many Internet circles, there's a principle called "Godwin's Law" (see
        > for example http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/legends/godwin/). This principle
        > says that threads that deteriorate to ugly mud-slinging usually end up
        > comparing someone to Nazis, and at that point someone else must invoke
        > "Godwin's Law" and declare the thread cancled and no-one is to reply to it
        > again.

        I am hereby invoking the non-classical form of Godwin's Law, by pointing
        out the fact that the first quote compares Linus to Nazis, for the purpose
        of saying that he is not similar to them.

        Accordingly, I pronounce this thread as cancelled and that no-one is to
        reply to it again!
        :-)

        --- Omer
        There is no IGLU Cabal. Someone jumped the gun and invoked Godwin's Law
        in middle of one of the arguments in a meeting of the former IGLU Cabal,
        and achieved the unintended effect of silencing them forever.
        WARNING TO SPAMMERS: see at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 5, 2001
          On Fri, Oct 05, 2001, Omer Zak wrote about "Express Invocation of Godwin's Law (was: Re: [hackers-il] The hippies, drug addicts and idiots who don't use Linux)":
          > > No, I haven't seen any signs of anti-semitism from Linus like several
          > I am hereby invoking the non-classical form of Godwin's Law, by pointing
          > out the fact that the first quote compares Linus to Nazis, for the purpose
          > of saying that he is not similar to them.

          No - saying some *isn't* an anti-semite isn't the same as comparing him to
          Nazis....

          But I hearby invoke the second-order Gowin's law, because you compared me
          to someone comparing someone else to Nazis! ;)

          --
          Nadav Har'El | Friday, Oct 5 2001, 18 Tishri 5762
          Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |New! Divorcee Barbie! Comes with all the
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 5, 2001
            On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 12:27:04AM +0200, Nadav Har'El wrote:
            [snip]
            > And today (Oct 4, 2001), Linus himself graced us with the following gem
            > about the Hurd people (in a discussion about why the Hurd implements some
            > parameter to mmap() that Linux doesn't)
            >
            > "Trust me. The people who came up with MAP_COPY were stupid. Really. It's
            > an idiotic concept, and it's not worth implementing.
            > In short: just say NO TO DRUGS, and maybe you won't end up like the Hurd
            > people."
            >
            > Interesting concept... Accusing everyone who doesn't agree with you to being
            > stoned...
            [snip]

            ...And not for the first time. Linus has always been known for his
            vicious attacks on ideas he considers sub-optimal. I disagree that
            we should consider it bigotry or prejudice; Linus attacks all ideas
            he doesn't like with with an equally strong language.

            By the way, I consider the related technical discussion fascinating.