Re: [hackers-il] looking for good python book

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 29, 2001
      I learned, and later used (and am still using) as reference book the
      following:
      David M. Beazley
      Python - Essential Reference (with foreword by Guido van Rossum)
      Publisher: New Riders - 201 West 103rd Street, Indianapolis, IN 46290
      ISBN: 0-7357-0901-7

      The book is somewhat dated, as it covers Python 1.5.2, and the current
      release is 2.1.

      If there is a new edition, which covers Python 2.x, then I would highly
      recommend it to people, who already know other languages like Perl, and
      want to master Python without reading 1000+ pages of baby talk.

      On Sat, 29 Sep 2001, Nadav Har'El wrote:

      > Hi. I'm asking about python in this list because I know some good Python-
      > savvy people are on this list :)
      >
      > I'm looking for a good book about Python. This should be a good (preferably
      > great) and comprehensive book, aimed at people who already know the principles
      > of programming (such as myself) - I'm not looking for a "Python-as-my-first-
      > language for dummies" type of book.
      >
      > I found two books from O'Reilly which look relevant:
      > 1. Learning Python (Help for Programmers) by Mark Lutz, David Ascher, and
      > Frank Willison, April 1999
      > 2. Programming python (2nd Edition) by Mark Lutz, March 2001

      I am not familiar with those O'Reilly books.

      > Is that Mark Lutz a well-known Python figure (sorry if this is an idiotic
      > question ;)). Is the April 1999 book considered outdated, or is it still ok?
      > (I don't know how much Python has changed in the last two years).

      See above - I'd consider 1.5.x books as somewhat outdated (but
      nevertheless useful).

      --- Omer
      There is no IGLU Cabal. The former Cabalists were lured by the charms of
      MPPL (Most Powerful Programming Language) away from the boring and mundane
      business of Linux kernel hacking.
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 29, 2001
        On Sat, Sep 29, 2001, Omer Zak wrote about "Re: [hackers-il] looking for good python book":
        > I learned, and later used (and am still using) as reference book the
        > following:
        > David M. Beazley
        > Python - Essential Reference (with foreword by Guido van Rossum)
        > The book is somewhat dated, as it covers Python 1.5.2, and the current
        > release is 2.1.
        > If there is a new edition, which covers Python 2.x, then I would highly
        > recommend it to people, who already know other languages like Perl, and

        Thanks. There's indeed a new 2nd edition of this book, published June 7 2001,
        covering (supposedly) Python 2.1. It seems relatively thin (416 pages is
        relatively thin when compared to 1300 ;)) and cheap (25$ on amazon.com).

        So, does anyone else share this recommendation, or do you disagree or
        have a different book to recommend?

        Thanks!

        > There is no IGLU Cabal. The former Cabalists were lured by the charms of
        > MPPL (Most Powerful Programming Language) away from the boring and mundane
        > business of Linux kernel hacking.

        I think this sig belongs on a different mailing list ;)

        --
        Nadav Har'El | Sunday, Sep 30 2001, 13 Tishri 5762
        Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |A good programmer is someone who looks
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 29, 2001
          > So, does anyone else share this recommendation, or do you disagree or
          > have a different book to recommend?

          I agree.
          This is also my book of choice.
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 30, 2001
            On Sun, 30 Sep 2001, Nadav Har'El wrote:

            > Thanks. There's indeed a new 2nd edition of this book, published June 7 2001,
            > covering (supposedly) Python 2.1. It seems relatively thin (416 pages is
            > relatively thin when compared to 1300 ;)) and cheap (25$ on amazon.com).

            The edition, which I have, is xviii+319 pages long, of which 159 (87-245)
            are devoted to Appendix A, which documents the Python library. I suppose
            that most of the extra 97 pages cover new library modules.

            > So, does anyone else share this recommendation, or do you disagree or
            > have a different book to recommend?

            Anyone having information about the new edition, please speak up. I too
            may want to buy it.

            > > There is no IGLU Cabal.The former Cabalists were lured by the charms of
            > > MPPL (Most Powerful Programming Language) away from the boring and mundane
            > > business of Linux kernel hacking.
            >
            > I think this sig belongs on a different mailing list ;)
            --- Omer
            There is no IGLU Cabal. Oops, wrong mailing list!