looking for good python book

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 29, 2001
      Hi. I'm asking about python in this list because I know some good Python-
      savvy people are on this list :)

      I'm looking for a good book about Python. This should be a good (preferably
      great) and comprehensive book, aimed at people who already know the principles
      of programming (such as myself) - I'm not looking for a "Python-as-my-first-
      language for dummies" type of book.

      I found two books from O'Reilly which look relevant:
      1. Learning Python (Help for Programmers) by Mark Lutz, David Ascher, and
      Frank Willison, April 1999
      2. Programming python (2nd Edition) by Mark Lutz, March 2001

      Which book is recommended (for people like me), and why? Or is there a
      better, non-O'Reilly book?
      Is that Mark Lutz a well-known Python figure (sorry if this is an idiotic
      question ;)). Is the April 1999 book considered outdated, or is it still ok?
      (I don't know how much Python has changed in the last two years).

      The first one is much thinner and much cheaper than the second one, so I'm
      wondering which one I should get (I'm not looking to become a master Python
      programmer right now, so I'm not sure a 1300 page book is exactly what I
      need).

      Thanks.

      --
      Nadav Har'El | Saturday, Sep 29 2001, 13 Tishri 5762
      Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Help Wanted: Telepath. You know where to
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 29, 2001
        I learned, and later used (and am still using) as reference book the
        following:
        David M. Beazley
        Python - Essential Reference (with foreword by Guido van Rossum)
        Publisher: New Riders - 201 West 103rd Street, Indianapolis, IN 46290
        ISBN: 0-7357-0901-7

        The book is somewhat dated, as it covers Python 1.5.2, and the current
        release is 2.1.

        If there is a new edition, which covers Python 2.x, then I would highly
        recommend it to people, who already know other languages like Perl, and
        want to master Python without reading 1000+ pages of baby talk.

        On Sat, 29 Sep 2001, Nadav Har'El wrote:

        > Hi. I'm asking about python in this list because I know some good Python-
        > savvy people are on this list :)
        >
        > I'm looking for a good book about Python. This should be a good (preferably
        > great) and comprehensive book, aimed at people who already know the principles
        > of programming (such as myself) - I'm not looking for a "Python-as-my-first-
        > language for dummies" type of book.
        >
        > I found two books from O'Reilly which look relevant:
        > 1. Learning Python (Help for Programmers) by Mark Lutz, David Ascher, and
        > Frank Willison, April 1999
        > 2. Programming python (2nd Edition) by Mark Lutz, March 2001

        I am not familiar with those O'Reilly books.

        > Is that Mark Lutz a well-known Python figure (sorry if this is an idiotic
        > question ;)). Is the April 1999 book considered outdated, or is it still ok?
        > (I don't know how much Python has changed in the last two years).

        See above - I'd consider 1.5.x books as somewhat outdated (but
        nevertheless useful).

        --- Omer
        There is no IGLU Cabal. The former Cabalists were lured by the charms of
        MPPL (Most Powerful Programming Language) away from the boring and mundane
        business of Linux kernel hacking.
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 29, 2001
          On Sat, Sep 29, 2001, Omer Zak wrote about "Re: [hackers-il] looking for good python book":
          > I learned, and later used (and am still using) as reference book the
          > following:
          > David M. Beazley
          > Python - Essential Reference (with foreword by Guido van Rossum)
          > The book is somewhat dated, as it covers Python 1.5.2, and the current
          > release is 2.1.
          > If there is a new edition, which covers Python 2.x, then I would highly
          > recommend it to people, who already know other languages like Perl, and

          Thanks. There's indeed a new 2nd edition of this book, published June 7 2001,
          covering (supposedly) Python 2.1. It seems relatively thin (416 pages is
          relatively thin when compared to 1300 ;)) and cheap (25$ on amazon.com).

          So, does anyone else share this recommendation, or do you disagree or
          have a different book to recommend?

          Thanks!

          > There is no IGLU Cabal. The former Cabalists were lured by the charms of
          > MPPL (Most Powerful Programming Language) away from the boring and mundane
          > business of Linux kernel hacking.

          I think this sig belongs on a different mailing list ;)

          --
          Nadav Har'El | Sunday, Sep 30 2001, 13 Tishri 5762
          Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |A good programmer is someone who looks
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 29, 2001
            > So, does anyone else share this recommendation, or do you disagree or
            > have a different book to recommend?

            I agree.
            This is also my book of choice.
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 30, 2001
              On Sun, 30 Sep 2001, Nadav Har'El wrote:

              > Thanks. There's indeed a new 2nd edition of this book, published June 7 2001,
              > covering (supposedly) Python 2.1. It seems relatively thin (416 pages is
              > relatively thin when compared to 1300 ;)) and cheap (25$ on amazon.com).

              The edition, which I have, is xviii+319 pages long, of which 159 (87-245)
              are devoted to Appendix A, which documents the Python library. I suppose
              that most of the extra 97 pages cover new library modules.

              > So, does anyone else share this recommendation, or do you disagree or
              > have a different book to recommend?

              Anyone having information about the new edition, please speak up. I too
              may want to buy it.

              > > There is no IGLU Cabal.The former Cabalists were lured by the charms of
              > > MPPL (Most Powerful Programming Language) away from the boring and mundane
              > > business of Linux kernel hacking.
              >
              > I think this sig belongs on a different mailing list ;)
              --- Omer
              There is no IGLU Cabal. Oops, wrong mailing list!