Re: RE: impolite advertisment?

    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 25, 2001
      On Sat, 25 Aug 2001, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

      > > > Does ezmlm keep a copy of all the delivered messages? (maybe not in a nice
      > > > browsable format, but something that can be converted to an archive if the
      > > > need arises)
      > > >

      > > It does. If you type group-base-help@hostname you'll get instructions on
      > > how to do retrieve them by using E-mail.
      > >
      > > But I don't see much point in moving this particular list away from
      > > YahooGroups. From what I see, they offer a very good service, for only the
      > > price of advertisments. The question is whether we are against the
      > > advertisments or against relying on a concentrated service like
      > > Yahoo-Groups.
      >
      > What happens to the list archive if egroups gets hit by a bus?

      What do you mean by that? I don't really understand the metaphore.

      > Tzafrir Cohen
      > mailto:tzafrir@...
      > http://www.technion.ac.il/~tzafrir

      A more experienced programmer does not make less bugs. He just realizes
      what went wrong more quickly.
    • Tzafrir Cohen
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 25, 2001
        On Sun, 26 Aug 2001, Shlomi Fish wrote:

        > > > Itdoes. If you type group-base-help@hostname you'll get instructions on
        > > > how to do retrieve them by using E-mail.
        > > >
        > > > But I don't see much point in moving this particular list away from
        > > > YahooGroups. From what I see, they offer a very good service, for only the
        > > > price of advertisments. The question is whether we are against the
        > > > advertisments or against relying on a concentrated service like
        > > > Yahoo-Groups.
        > >
        > > What happens to the list archive if egroups gets hit by a bus?
        > >

        > What do you mean by that? I don't really understand the metaphore.

        What happens if either:

        * yahoo gets purchaced by the evil MS and decides that linux-related
        groups are not allowed anymore (this is legal, I figure: they may change
        their license terms at any time)
        * yahoo stops supplying those free services
        * yahoo vanishes
        * A hacker doesn't like the term being misused, and thus breaks into yahoo
        and removes any trace of this group ;-)
        * due to some coinsidence the content of the whole archive is lost, and it
        turns out that there is no valid backup at Yahoo.
        * Linus Torvalds gains world domination and decides that this group is an
        unnecessary competition

        It's generally enough for one of those to happen...

        --
        Tzafrir Cohen
        mailto:tzafrir@...
        http://www.technion.ac.il/~tzafrir
      • Alon Altman
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 27, 2001
          On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Nadav Har'El wrote:
          > <BLABBERING CLASS=OFFTOPIC STYLE="core-dump: true;">
          > BTW, in this mailing list we tend to drift a lot to non-computer-related
          > turf. I don't mind this one bit (I view mailing lists as communities, where
          > the people matter more than the actual subject), but some people do. So,
          > does anyone know where I can find other good mailing lists in Israel, about
          > things like philosophy (especially ethics and politics, though other things
          > like epistemology and ontology are also interesting, I guess), and politics
          > (I'm not talking about *politicians*, I'm talking about discussing issues
          > du-jour like freedom, human rights, war and peace (not the book ;)) and stuff
          > like that. Any recommendations?
          > </BLABBERING>

          forum, but it seems to fit the needs you mentioned.

          Alon

          --
          This message was sent by Alon Altman (Psycho99@...) ICQ:1366540
          The RIGHT way to contact me is by e-mail. I am otherwise nonexistent :)