We've been LWNed!

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 18, 2001
      Check:

      http://lwn.net/2001/0816/letters.php3

      A more experienced programmer does not make less bugs. He just realizes
      what went wrong more quickly.
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 19, 2001
        Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> writes:

        > Check:
        >
        > http://lwn.net/2001/0816/letters.php3

        May I raise a procedural point here?

        Shlomi, you have posted quite a few messages to hackers-il about DeCSS
        for JavaScript, and your efforts are appreciated and
        commendable. However, I do not recall any discussion regarding any
        other association between this program and hackers-il, or that
        hackers-il somehow officially endorse the program or have an agreed
        upon opinion on DeCSS and the surrounding controversy. This was simply
        not discussed here (and I have just had a quick look at the archives
        to check that - if I am wrong, I apologize).

        The point is, it's your creation, and it was you who posted to LWN,
        and I do not quite understand why the posting was on behalf of
        hackers-il. I think one should be careful with "implicating" a whole
        group of people. DeCSS is controversial enough, and the word "hacker"
        doesn't sound innocent to the general public in the context. In the
        future, there might be even mirkier and more controversial issues.

        Actually, both you yourself and Chen have commented on possible
        adverse implications of this list's association with DeCSS.

        Don't get me wrong, I have a tendency to being a bit "in your face"
        myself, but I try to be very careful when others are involved.

        No, there is no need to retract your posting to LWN as far as I am
        concerned.

        --
        Oleg Goldshmidt | ogoldshmidt@...
        "If it ain't broken, it has not got enough features yet."
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 19, 2001
          Oleg Goldshmidt <ogoldshmidt@...> writes:

          > Actually, both you yourself and Chen have commented on possible
          > adverse implications of this list's association with DeCSS.

          To pour some more gasoline on this fire, this is just (Friday) off /.

          http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=01/08/17/207208&mode=thread

          And as for Chen's earlier remark about Yahoo! trading Nazi
          memorabilia, IANAL, but

          1) I believe trading Nazi memorabilia online is actually quite legal
          in the US, while violating DMCA isn't.

          2) Technically, a lawsuit can be brought against hackers-il and/or
          its members, with consequences for those who set foot on American
          soil. Yes, it's remote to put it mildly, but stranger things have
          happened. Is the case of Dmitry Sklyarov an exception or the rule?

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 19, 2001
            On 19 Aug 2001, Oleg Goldshmidt wrote:

            > Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> writes:
            >
            > > Check:
            > >
            > > http://lwn.net/2001/0816/letters.php3
            > >
            > > Regards,
            > >
            > > Shlomi Fish
            >
            > May I raise a procedural point here?
            >
            > Shlomi, you have posted quite a few messages to hackers-il about DeCSS
            > for JavaScript, and your efforts are appreciated and
            > commendable. However, I do not recall any discussion regarding any
            > other association between this program and hackers-il, or that
            > hackers-il somehow officially endorse the program or have an agreed
            > upon opinion on DeCSS and the surrounding controversy. This was simply
            > not discussed here (and I have just had a quick look at the archives
            > to check that - if I am wrong, I apologize).
            >
            > The point is, it's your creation, and it was you who posted to LWN,
            > and I do not quite understand why the posting was on behalf of
            > hackers-il. I think one should be careful with "implicating" a whole
            > group of people. DeCSS is controversial enough, and the word "hacker"
            > doesn't sound innocent to the general public in the context. In the
            > future, there might be even mirkier and more controversial issues.

            Well, the DeCSS powering HTML specifically sais that only me and Chen
            Shapira (to a lesser extent) were responsible for doing this hack. If
            anybody asks me whether the rest of you are responsible for it, I will
            deny it. However, the reason I wanted to publicize it as an official hack
            of hackers-il was to get us some publicity.

            > Actually, both you yourself and Chen have commented on possible
            > adverse implications of this list's association with DeCSS.

            Actually our archives already contain links to the DeCSS source code. ;-)
            So, it's too late, I guess.

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 19, 2001
              :-) I liked the way you described the group.

              I wonder how many people are subscribed because they wanted to find out
              about the latests cracks and exploits.

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/