How to write USEFUL Perl code (was: Re: [hackers-il] Re: How to...)

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 13, 2001
      On Mon, 13 Aug 2001, Shlomi Fish wrote:

      > Actually, it usually is a good ideato use filehandles such as IN, OUT,
      > FILE, etc. It is always possible to duplicate STDIN into one such
      > filehandle. (I think the syntax is open IN, "<&STDIN";). In any case, the
      > FileHandle module is also a good idea, as is the Socket module.
      [... rest of discussion was snipped, especially as I saw no explanation
      how using filehandles *really* makes perl scripts easier to
      use ...]

      OK, it seems that Shlomi's thread is destined for diversions regardless of
      any goodhearted attempts to do otherwise...

      The current diversion starts with the questions:
      1. How do you actually use 50-line perl scripts (or programs) for?
      2. What writing style of 50-line perl scripts would make it easier for you
      to use such scripts for whatever you actually use them for?

      > I'm not sure I'd like to focus on scripts in my documnt. I'd like to give
      > advice for writing legible, maintainable perl code, whether in a module or
      > in a script.

      Here is the reason for the current diversion: Shlomi wants
      legible&maintainable perl code. I want just to get my job done today and
      in the future. I believe that for this purpose, remembering to read from
      stdin (or from <> - which I personally don't like, because it complicates
      for me command line arguments handling and validation - no religious
      argument here please - it is matter of taste for me) - is more important
      than using alternative filehandle names (see above).

      Does Anyone disagree with me?
      If yes, what are his/her reasons?

      --- Omer
      There is no IGLU Cabal. Freedom of expression was suppressed there at a
      whim, and people stopped discussing the important issues.