Re: Preparing the DeCSS for JavaScript 0.4 distribution

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 6, 2001
      I now recall a lot of ideas I had for pages to add to the distro:

      1. Distributed DeCSS for JavaScript - someone writes a server that will
      multiplex the decoding of a DVD into a large number of browsers.
      Naturally, the overhead of sending and receiving a packet from the network
      is usually greater than the run-time of the C program, but it could prove
      the point that DeCSS is more accessible now.

      Note, that sending DVD packets of a copyrighted DVD is illegal. But if
      someone is the legitimate owner of a DVD and has encrypted it with CSS, he
      could basically do that.

      2. Auto-DeCSS

      That way the browser will download or generate a binary sequence without
      asking the user and decrypts it for him. (possibly repeating itself). That
      way, the question is: who violates the DMCA? The one who browses into the
      site or the one who owns the site with the malicious code?

      3. Assorted DeCSS for JavaScript web-boxes. They don't occupy too much of
      the screen but they are enough to run it.

      4. Assorted link images. GIMPers - anyone?

      Some ideas:

      * DeCSS Now! (literally)

      * Have you violated the DMCA today?

      Any other suggestions?

      5. I'd like it to have a the possibility of specifiying an external URL as
      the backend source. This has another intersting legal implication - if one
      site contains the javascript code, and the other the HTML form that uses
      it, who can be blamed for it?

      Well, so long for now,

      Shlomi Fish

      There is no IGLU Cabal! Its members distributed confidential information
      by encrypting it with CSS, and some clever hacker managed to bypass it.

      A more experienced programmer does not make less bugs. He just realizes
      what went wrong more quickly.