RE: [hackers-il] Is regression test suite really unimportant? (wa s: . . .)

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 8, 2001
      > Other considratiosn:
      > 1. If people find it easy to run a test suite, people with rare system
      > configurations would be more willing to help test the
      > software in their
      > special systems, so there is more confidence that the
      > software would
      > work in a future new environment.
      > 2. A developer, who wants to modify an existing software package
      > (especially one with which he is not so familiar), will
      > have his job
      > easier if he can test quick and early his changes for any possible
      > adverse side effects.

      3. There's no replacement for a testsuite written by the programmer who
      wrote the code.
      No QA department, no ammount of user testing, can ever replace the tests
      written by someone who knows what's going on in the code and tries his best
      to break it.
    • Omer Musaev
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 8, 2001

        I do not recall nothing I"ve read about testing, but following books were
        interesting:

        "Writing Solid Code" by Steve McGuire has many insights.
        "Practice of Programming" by Brian Kernighan and Rob Pike is a very nice
        book.

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/