Re: OS development

  • peleg_w@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 11, 2001
      --- In hackers-il@y..., Chen Shapira <chen@m...> wrote:

      > > The work consists of 2 parts.
      > > The first one is a theoretical one. It deals with explaining the
      > > various task an OS has to do, etc...
      > > The second part is a SMALL OS I will write that will be able to
      run
      > > some basic programs in assembly.
      >
      > We still have most documents for Scheme OS on the web, no?
      > Perhaps we found someone to revitalize it :-)

      I would like to check Scheme OS if you could point me to it. :)
      I would also like to get any info about it... btw, who wrote it?

      Peleg.
    • peleg_w@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 11, 2001
        > The Technion EE Faculty has lecture slides and exercise material in
        Hebrew
        > for its "Structure of OS" course.
        >
        > The site is:
        >
        > http://tiger.technion.ac.il/courses/046209/
        >
        > Many of them are available online in Microsoftish Formats.

        10x. It has some interesting stuff there I'm looking into it now.

        Peleg.
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 11, 2001
          > I would like to check Scheme OS if you could point me to it. :)
          > I would also like to get any info about it... btw, who wrote it?

          Peleg,

          This OS was never written.
          It was a game and design idea for an operating system, using the Scheme
          programming langauge.
          It included some interesting ideas about memory managment, and file systems.

          There is only one page of documentation, and it covers almost nothing:
          http://www.iglu.org.il:8080/Zen/SchemeOS

          Also, search the Hackers-il archives, you may find something there.
          (But I doubt that, most of the discussion took place in a pub, late at
          night, and I doubt if anyone took notes)

          Hopefully, someone with better memory will have time to explain everything.

          I'll also mention my old mistress, HURD operating system.
          Its a unix-like, open-source, micro-kernel based operating system, which is
          just starting to look usefull, and has good enough documentation to be
          usefull for study.
          I wasn't involved with it for more than a year now, but if you have any
          questions about it, I can still help (I think).

          For very interesting ideas, look into the EROS project, which is very
          diffrent from everything else.

          And if you have good and detailed documentation about the design of NT
          (message passing, memory managment, file system) - I'd like to have that.

          And if you need to borrow the classic Tanenbaum book, I think I have it
          somewhere and can lend it.

          Thanks,
          Chen.
        • peleg_w@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 11, 2001
            --- In hackers-il@y..., Chen Shapira <chen@m...> wrote:

            > > I would like to check Scheme OS if you could point me to it. :)
            > > I would also like to get any info about it... btw, who wrote it?
            >
            > Peleg,
            >
            > This OS was never written.
            > It was a game and design idea for an operating system, using the
            Scheme
            > programming langauge.
            > It included some interesting ideas about memory managment, and file
            systems.

            > There is only one page of documentation, and it covers almost
            nothing:
            > http://www.iglu.org.il:8080/Zen/SchemeOS
            >
            > Also, search the Hackers-il archives, you may find something there.
            > (But I doubt that, most of the discussion took place in a pub, late
            at
            > night, and I doubt if anyone took notes)
            >
            > Hopefully, someone with better memory will have time to explain
            everything.

            > I'll also mention my old mistress, HURD operating system.
            > Its a unix-like, open-source, micro-kernel based operating system,
            which is
            > just starting to look usefull, and has good enough documentation to
            be
            > usefull for study.
            > I wasn't involved with it for more than a year now, but if you have
            any
            > questions about it, I can still help (I think).
            >
            > For very interesting ideas, look into the EROS project, which is
            very
            > diffrent from everything else.
            >
            > And if you have good and detailed documentation about the design of
            NT
            > (message passing, memory managment, file system) - I'd like to have
            that.

            > And if you need to borrow the classic Tanenbaum book, I think I
            have it
            > somewhere and can lend it.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Chen.

            Chen,

            I thank you for the info and references, I'll go look at them now.
            About the book, it has allready been ordered and is probably stuck in
            the customs service. (only reasons for it to be 3 weeks late)

            Could you please tell me what is the Scheme programming language?

            Again, thank you very much for the info.
            Peleg.
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 11, 2001
              On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 peleg_w@... wrote:

              > --- In hackers-il@y..., Chen Shapira <chen@m...> wrote:
              > >
              > > > I would like to check Scheme OS if you could point me to it. :)
              > > > I would also like to get any info about it... btw, who wrote it?
              > >
              > > Peleg,
              > >
              > > This OS was never written.
              > > It was a game and design idea for an operating system, using the
              > Scheme
              > > programming langauge.
              > > It included some interesting ideas about memory managment, and file
              > systems.
              > >
              > > There is only one page of documentation, and it covers almost
              > nothing:
              > > http://www.iglu.org.il:8080/Zen/SchemeOS
              > >
              > > Also, search the Hackers-il archives, you may find something there.
              > > (But I doubt that, most of the discussion took place in a pub, late
              > at
              > > night, and I doubt if anyone took notes)
              > >
              > > Hopefully, someone with better memory will have time to explain
              > everything.
              > >
              > > I'll also mention my old mistress, HURD operating system.
              > > Its a unix-like, open-source, micro-kernel based operating system,
              > which is
              > > just starting to look usefull, and has good enough documentation to
              > be
              > > usefull for study.
              > > I wasn't involved with it for more than a year now, but if you have
              > any
              > > questions about it, I can still help (I think).
              > >
              > > For very interesting ideas, look into the EROS project, which is
              > very
              > > diffrent from everything else.
              > >
              > > And if you have good and detailed documentation about the design of
              > NT
              > > (message passing, memory managment, file system) - I'd like to have
              > that.
              > >
              > > And if you need to borrow the classic Tanenbaum book, I think I
              > have it
              > > somewhere and can lend it.
              > >
              > > Thanks,
              > > Chen.
              >
              > Chen,
              >
              > I thank you for the info and references, I'll go look at them now.
              > About the book, it has allready been ordered and is probably stuck in
              > the customs service. (only reasons for it to be 3 weeks late)
              >
              > Could you please tell me what is the Scheme programming language?

              Links:

              http://www.google.com/search?q=scheme which in turn yields:

              http://www.schemers.org/

              and

              http://www.swiss.ai.mit.edu/projects/scheme/

              Now for my own summary: Scheme is a symbolic, high-level language similar
              to LISP. Its main difference from other LISP variants is the fact that it
              has lexical scoping (rather than dynamic scoping). Scheme was
              orignally introduced as a tool for reasearch in Lambda Calculus, but since
              then its usage has expanded a bit.

              Many people in Hackers-IL (not including me) have Scheme as their
              favourite language. However, most Scheme implementations are very hard to
              do real work (e.g: that done with C, perl, python, etc.) with because they
              lack bindings to many common operations. With a proper encompassing
              standard, however, this situation may change.

              I wrote a lecture about Scheme and Lambda Calculus for the Haifa Linux
              Club:

              http://vipe.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/lecture/Lambda-Calculus/

              (Disclaimer: it was highly criticized by Omer Mussaev, who is one of the
              more knowledgable Schemers around us)

              There are many similar texts on the web, some of which introduce only
              Scheme.

              I would not go into all that trouble to learn Scheme just in order to
              understand what SchemeOS was all about. Learning Scheme, especially by
              means of the "Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs" book,
              gives one many useful techniques and insights about programming. However,
              I don't think it well help you with the OS essay, per ce.

              > Again, thank you very much for the info.
              > Peleg.

              A more experienced programmer does not make less bugs. He just realizes
              what went wrong more quickly.
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 12, 2001
                > I would not go into all that trouble to learn Scheme just in order to
                > understand what SchemeOS was all about. Learning Scheme, especially by
                > means of the "Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs" book,
                > gives one many useful techniques and insights about
                > programming. However,
                > I don't think it well help you with the OS essay, per ce.

                Nor will it help you much with Scheme.
                This book is a great "introduction to CS" book, but its scheme content could
                be shortened to a smaller book, and leave room for important concepts they
                left out (continuations, letrec).

                Scheme is a small language, SICP is a large book (and includes instructions
                on writing scheme compilers).
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 12, 2001
                  > I wrote a lecture about Scheme and Lambda Calculus for the Haifa Linux
                  > Club:
                  >
                  > http://vipe.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/lecture/Lambda-Calculus/
                  >
                  > (Disclaimer: it was highly criticized by Omer Mussaev, who is
                  > one of the
                  > more knowledgable Schemers around us)

                  I found the text useful, although more for lambda-calculus than for Scheme.
                  There are better scheme texts available on-line, but this is the best "intro
                  to lambda-calculus" I saw.

                  But, really, learning scheme has nothing to do with OS research.
                  And lambda-calculus is concidered partially estoric, and very advanced math,
                  with little connection to anything at all.

                  In TAU, btw, students are introduced to lambda calculus in their first year,
                  discrete math course.
                  Needless to say, I was the only one who liked the idea.
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 12, 2001
                    Chen Shapira <chen@...> writes:

                    > Nor will it help you much with Scheme.

                    I disagree. You can learn Scheme from SICP, and more importantly,
                    you can learn a lot of relevant (to Scheme and beyond) concepts.

                    In any case, IMH(umble)O this is one of the best CS books ever written
                    (here I believe Chen says something similar), and I heartily recommend
                    it.

                    --
                    Oleg Goldshmidt | ogoldshmidt@...
                    If it ain't broken, it hasn't got enough features yet.
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 12, 2001

                      There are some introductory materials on the web:

                      Meir Goldberg's pages on Scheme:

                      Scheme:
                      http://www.cs.bgu.ac.il/~gmayer/courses/compiler-construction/help/index.htm
                      http://www.cs.bgu.ac.il/~gmayer/interests-programming-languages/scheme/schem
                      e-programming-language.html
                      http://www.cs.bgu.ac.il/~gmayer/interests-programming-languages/scheme/index
                      .html

                      The never-finished Scheme-Book http://www.iglu.org.il:8080/Zen/SchemeBook

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 13, 2001
                        On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Chen Shapira wrote:

                        > > I wrote a lecture about Scheme and Lambda Calculus for the Haifa Linux
                        > > Club:
                        > >
                        > > http://vipe.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/lecture/Lambda-Calculus/
                        > >
                        > > (Disclaimer: it was highly criticized by Omer Mussaev, who is
                        > > one of the
                        > > more knowledgable Schemers around us)
                        >
                        > I found the text useful, although more for lambda-calculus than for Scheme.
                        > There are better scheme texts available on-line, but this is the best "intro
                        > to lambda-calculus" I saw.

                        Really? I'm glad you liked it so much. In any case, I only taught enough
                        Scheme to be able to teach Lambda Calculus with it, not more; so I agree
                        that it is not a very good Scheme intro.

                        BTW, did you check out Mark-Jason Dominus' LC in Perl site?

                        http://perl.plover.com/lambda/

                        I only scanned through the article, but it doesn't look so bad.

                        > But, really, learning scheme has nothing to do with OS research.
                        > And lambda-calculus is concidered partially estoric, and very advanced math,
                        > with little connection to anything at all.

                        Lambda Calculus is the basis for functional programming, so it is actually
                        quite important. Lexical scoping (which was in fact introduced in Scheme)
                        was designed to emulate the behaviour of Lambda Calculus. And later
                        languages such as Perl 5 and XSL inherited the lexical scoping.

                        So, lexical scoping could not have been possible without lambda calculus,
                        and it is very convenient, besides.

                        This is just a simple example. In fact, learning LC can give one a lot of
                        insights about functional programming and programming in general.

                        > In TAU, btw, students are introduced to lambda calculus in their first year,
                        > discrete math course.

                        Very interesting. When I learned Lambda Calculus, I managed to do so only
                        becuase I used the Scheme behaviour as an analogy, and thought about
                        executing lambdas as executing functions.

                        Since in TAU, students are introduced to programming (in Scheme) in their
                        second semester, it means that they are not yet as ready as they can be to
                        learn about lambda calculus. I realize LC was invented before there were
                        computers powerful enough to execute it, but sometimes it is better to
                        approach a topic based on a future development.

                        From what Omer Mussaev told me and from my impression, they place a lot of
                        focus on Lambda Calculus in BGU. But I think even they teach programming
                        proper, before they teach LC.

                        > Needless to say, I was the only one who liked the idea.

                        I can understand why... Introducing LC to someone who doesn't know
                        programming is like explaining the Theory of Relativity to someone who
                        isn't familiar with Newtonian physics. Possible, but un-advised.