Re: OS development

  • peleg_w@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 9, 2001
      --- In hackers-il@y..., "Nadav Har'El" <nyh@m...> wrote:
      > Sorry about the sarcasm, but I would point you to
      > "English-Hebrew, Hebrew-English Dictionary" by Oxford
      University Press

      Apparently I forgot to mention that english is not a problem for me.
      I am able to read freely in english (as well as russian and hebrew)
      but it would be nice to give to my guide something easy to read :)
      his level of english is quite low, as it is for most teachers I
      know. :D

      BTW, I prefer "The Chambers Dictionary".
      Peleg.
    • peleg_w@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 9, 2001
        --- In hackers-il@y..., mulix <mulix@a...> wrote:
        > On Sat, 9 Jun 2001 peleg_w@y... wrote:
        >
        > > I'm doing an "Avodat Gmar" on the subject of Operating Systems.
        > > Meanwhile most of the materials I found on the subject are in
        english
        > > and I would like to know if there are any hebrew materials
        avaiable?

        > except for the book you mention below, not that i know. perhaphs you
        > could tell us some more about what you want to do? we might be able
        > recommend good resources, albeit probably in english.
        >
        > ObCompletelyUnrelated: slashdot has a link to an mp3 of a lecture
        Marvin
        > Minsky (of AI fame) gave at a game developers' conference.
        interesting
        > listening material.
        > --
        > mulix
        > http://www.advogato.com/person/mulix
        >
        > linux/reboot.h: #define LINUX_REBOOT_MAGIC1 0xfee1dead

        The work consists of 2 parts.
        The first one is a theoretical one. It deals with explaining the
        various task an OS has to do, etc...
        The second part is a SMALL OS I will write that will be able to run
        some basic programs in assembly.

        Peleg.
      • peleg_w@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 9, 2001
          --- In hackers-il@y..., Chen Shapira <chen@m...> wrote:

          > Perhaps we found someone to revitalize it :-)

          Ohh ohh... why is everybody looking at me?
          Should I run for my life?
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 9, 2001
            On Sat, 9 Jun 2001 peleg_w@... wrote:

            > Hi.
            >
            > I'm doing an "Avodat Gmar" on the subject of Operating Systems.
            > Meanwhile most of the materials I found on the subject are in english
            > and I would like to know if there are any hebrew materials avaiable?
            >
            > I only managed to find the book "Operating Systems Concepts" by the
            > Open University.
            > Are there any other materials (books, essays, etc...) that you can
            > point me to?
            >
            > Thanks.
            > Peleg.

            The Technion EE Faculty has lecture slides and exercise material in Hebrew
            for its "Structure of OS" course.

            The site is:

            http://tiger.technion.ac.il/courses/046209/

            Many of them are available online in Microsoftish Formats.

            A more experienced programmer does not make less bugs. He just realizes
            what went wrong more quickly.
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 10, 2001
              > The work consists of 2 parts.
              > The first one is a theoretical one. It deals with explaining the
              > various task an OS has to do, etc...
              > The second part is a SMALL OS I will write that will be able to run
              > some basic programs in assembly.

              We still have most documents for Scheme OS on the web, no?
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 11, 2001
                --- In hackers-il@y..., Chen Shapira <chen@m...> wrote:

                > > The work consists of 2 parts.
                > > The first one is a theoretical one. It deals with explaining the
                > > various task an OS has to do, etc...
                > > The second part is a SMALL OS I will write that will be able to
                run
                > > some basic programs in assembly.
                >
                > We still have most documents for Scheme OS on the web, no?
                > Perhaps we found someone to revitalize it :-)

                I would like to check Scheme OS if you could point me to it. :)
                I would also like to get any info about it... btw, who wrote it?

                Peleg.
              • peleg_w@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 11, 2001
                  > The Technion EE Faculty has lecture slides and exercise material in
                  Hebrew
                  > for its "Structure of OS" course.
                  >
                  > The site is:
                  >
                  > http://tiger.technion.ac.il/courses/046209/
                  >
                  > Many of them are available online in Microsoftish Formats.

                  10x. It has some interesting stuff there I'm looking into it now.

                  Peleg.
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 11, 2001
                    > I would like to check Scheme OS if you could point me to it. :)
                    > I would also like to get any info about it... btw, who wrote it?

                    Peleg,

                    This OS was never written.
                    It was a game and design idea for an operating system, using the Scheme
                    programming langauge.
                    It included some interesting ideas about memory managment, and file systems.

                    There is only one page of documentation, and it covers almost nothing:
                    http://www.iglu.org.il:8080/Zen/SchemeOS

                    Also, search the Hackers-il archives, you may find something there.
                    (But I doubt that, most of the discussion took place in a pub, late at
                    night, and I doubt if anyone took notes)

                    Hopefully, someone with better memory will have time to explain everything.

                    I'll also mention my old mistress, HURD operating system.
                    Its a unix-like, open-source, micro-kernel based operating system, which is
                    just starting to look usefull, and has good enough documentation to be
                    usefull for study.
                    I wasn't involved with it for more than a year now, but if you have any
                    questions about it, I can still help (I think).

                    For very interesting ideas, look into the EROS project, which is very
                    diffrent from everything else.

                    And if you have good and detailed documentation about the design of NT
                    (message passing, memory managment, file system) - I'd like to have that.

                    And if you need to borrow the classic Tanenbaum book, I think I have it
                    somewhere and can lend it.

                    Thanks,
                    Chen.
                  • peleg_w@yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 11, 2001
                      --- In hackers-il@y..., Chen Shapira <chen@m...> wrote:

                      > > I would like to check Scheme OS if you could point me to it. :)
                      > > I would also like to get any info about it... btw, who wrote it?
                      >
                      > Peleg,
                      >
                      > This OS was never written.
                      > It was a game and design idea for an operating system, using the
                      Scheme
                      > programming langauge.
                      > It included some interesting ideas about memory managment, and file
                      systems.

                      > There is only one page of documentation, and it covers almost
                      nothing:
                      > http://www.iglu.org.il:8080/Zen/SchemeOS
                      >
                      > Also, search the Hackers-il archives, you may find something there.
                      > (But I doubt that, most of the discussion took place in a pub, late
                      at
                      > night, and I doubt if anyone took notes)
                      >
                      > Hopefully, someone with better memory will have time to explain
                      everything.

                      > I'll also mention my old mistress, HURD operating system.
                      > Its a unix-like, open-source, micro-kernel based operating system,
                      which is
                      > just starting to look usefull, and has good enough documentation to
                      be
                      > usefull for study.
                      > I wasn't involved with it for more than a year now, but if you have
                      any
                      > questions about it, I can still help (I think).
                      >
                      > For very interesting ideas, look into the EROS project, which is
                      very
                      > diffrent from everything else.
                      >
                      > And if you have good and detailed documentation about the design of
                      NT
                      > (message passing, memory managment, file system) - I'd like to have
                      that.

                      > And if you need to borrow the classic Tanenbaum book, I think I
                      have it
                      > somewhere and can lend it.
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Chen.

                      Chen,

                      I thank you for the info and references, I'll go look at them now.
                      About the book, it has allready been ordered and is probably stuck in
                      the customs service. (only reasons for it to be 3 weeks late)

                      Could you please tell me what is the Scheme programming language?

                      Again, thank you very much for the info.
                      Peleg.
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 11, 2001
                        On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 peleg_w@... wrote:

                        > --- In hackers-il@y..., Chen Shapira <chen@m...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > I would like to check Scheme OS if you could point me to it. :)
                        > > > I would also like to get any info about it... btw, who wrote it?
                        > >
                        > > Peleg,
                        > >
                        > > This OS was never written.
                        > > It was a game and design idea for an operating system, using the
                        > Scheme
                        > > programming langauge.
                        > > It included some interesting ideas about memory managment, and file
                        > systems.
                        > >
                        > > There is only one page of documentation, and it covers almost
                        > nothing:
                        > > http://www.iglu.org.il:8080/Zen/SchemeOS
                        > >
                        > > Also, search the Hackers-il archives, you may find something there.
                        > > (But I doubt that, most of the discussion took place in a pub, late
                        > at
                        > > night, and I doubt if anyone took notes)
                        > >
                        > > Hopefully, someone with better memory will have time to explain
                        > everything.
                        > >
                        > > I'll also mention my old mistress, HURD operating system.
                        > > Its a unix-like, open-source, micro-kernel based operating system,
                        > which is
                        > > just starting to look usefull, and has good enough documentation to
                        > be
                        > > usefull for study.
                        > > I wasn't involved with it for more than a year now, but if you have
                        > any
                        > > questions about it, I can still help (I think).
                        > >
                        > > For very interesting ideas, look into the EROS project, which is
                        > very
                        > > diffrent from everything else.
                        > >
                        > > And if you have good and detailed documentation about the design of
                        > NT
                        > > (message passing, memory managment, file system) - I'd like to have
                        > that.
                        > >
                        > > And if you need to borrow the classic Tanenbaum book, I think I
                        > have it
                        > > somewhere and can lend it.
                        > >
                        > > Thanks,
                        > > Chen.
                        >
                        > Chen,
                        >
                        > I thank you for the info and references, I'll go look at them now.
                        > About the book, it has allready been ordered and is probably stuck in
                        > the customs service. (only reasons for it to be 3 weeks late)
                        >
                        > Could you please tell me what is the Scheme programming language?

                        Links:

                        http://www.google.com/search?q=scheme which in turn yields:

                        http://www.schemers.org/

                        and

                        http://www.swiss.ai.mit.edu/projects/scheme/

                        Now for my own summary: Scheme is a symbolic, high-level language similar
                        to LISP. Its main difference from other LISP variants is the fact that it
                        has lexical scoping (rather than dynamic scoping). Scheme was
                        orignally introduced as a tool for reasearch in Lambda Calculus, but since
                        then its usage has expanded a bit.

                        Many people in Hackers-IL (not including me) have Scheme as their
                        favourite language. However, most Scheme implementations are very hard to
                        do real work (e.g: that done with C, perl, python, etc.) with because they
                        lack bindings to many common operations. With a proper encompassing
                        standard, however, this situation may change.

                        I wrote a lecture about Scheme and Lambda Calculus for the Haifa Linux
                        Club:

                        http://vipe.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/lecture/Lambda-Calculus/

                        (Disclaimer: it was highly criticized by Omer Mussaev, who is one of the
                        more knowledgable Schemers around us)

                        There are many similar texts on the web, some of which introduce only
                        Scheme.

                        I would not go into all that trouble to learn Scheme just in order to
                        understand what SchemeOS was all about. Learning Scheme, especially by
                        means of the "Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs" book,
                        gives one many useful techniques and insights about programming. However,
                        I don't think it well help you with the OS essay, per ce.

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 12, 2001
                          > I would not go into all that trouble to learn Scheme just in order to
                          > understand what SchemeOS was all about. Learning Scheme, especially by
                          > means of the "Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs" book,
                          > gives one many useful techniques and insights about
                          > programming. However,
                          > I don't think it well help you with the OS essay, per ce.

                          Nor will it help you much with Scheme.
                          This book is a great "introduction to CS" book, but its scheme content could
                          be shortened to a smaller book, and leave room for important concepts they
                          left out (continuations, letrec).

                          Scheme is a small language, SICP is a large book (and includes instructions
                          on writing scheme compilers).
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 12, 2001
                            > I wrote a lecture about Scheme and Lambda Calculus for the Haifa Linux
                            > Club:
                            >
                            > http://vipe.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/lecture/Lambda-Calculus/
                            >
                            > (Disclaimer: it was highly criticized by Omer Mussaev, who is
                            > one of the
                            > more knowledgable Schemers around us)

                            I found the text useful, although more for lambda-calculus than for Scheme.
                            There are better scheme texts available on-line, but this is the best "intro
                            to lambda-calculus" I saw.

                            But, really, learning scheme has nothing to do with OS research.
                            And lambda-calculus is concidered partially estoric, and very advanced math,
                            with little connection to anything at all.

                            In TAU, btw, students are introduced to lambda calculus in their first year,
                            discrete math course.
                            Needless to say, I was the only one who liked the idea.
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 12, 2001
                              Chen Shapira <chen@...> writes:

                              > Nor will it help you much with Scheme.

                              I disagree. You can learn Scheme from SICP, and more importantly,
                              you can learn a lot of relevant (to Scheme and beyond) concepts.

                              In any case, IMH(umble)O this is one of the best CS books ever written
                              (here I believe Chen says something similar), and I heartily recommend
                              it.

                              --
                              Oleg Goldshmidt | ogoldshmidt@...
                              If it ain't broken, it hasn't got enough features yet.
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 12, 2001

                                There are some introductory materials on the web:

                                Meir Goldberg's pages on Scheme:

                                Scheme:
                                http://www.cs.bgu.ac.il/~gmayer/courses/compiler-construction/help/index.htm
                                http://www.cs.bgu.ac.il/~gmayer/interests-programming-languages/scheme/schem
                                e-programming-language.html
                                http://www.cs.bgu.ac.il/~gmayer/interests-programming-languages/scheme/index
                                .html

                                The never-finished Scheme-Book http://www.iglu.org.il:8080/Zen/SchemeBook

                                Message 15 of 18 , Jun 13, 2001
                                  On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Chen Shapira wrote:

                                  > > I wrote a lecture about Scheme and Lambda Calculus for the Haifa Linux
                                  > > Club:
                                  > >
                                  > > http://vipe.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/lecture/Lambda-Calculus/
                                  > >
                                  > > (Disclaimer: it was highly criticized by Omer Mussaev, who is
                                  > > one of the
                                  > > more knowledgable Schemers around us)
                                  >
                                  > I found the text useful, although more for lambda-calculus than for Scheme.
                                  > There are better scheme texts available on-line, but this is the best "intro
                                  > to lambda-calculus" I saw.

                                  Really? I'm glad you liked it so much. In any case, I only taught enough
                                  Scheme to be able to teach Lambda Calculus with it, not more; so I agree
                                  that it is not a very good Scheme intro.

                                  BTW, did you check out Mark-Jason Dominus' LC in Perl site?

                                  http://perl.plover.com/lambda/

                                  I only scanned through the article, but it doesn't look so bad.

                                  > But, really, learning scheme has nothing to do with OS research.
                                  > And lambda-calculus is concidered partially estoric, and very advanced math,
                                  > with little connection to anything at all.

                                  Lambda Calculus is the basis for functional programming, so it is actually
                                  quite important. Lexical scoping (which was in fact introduced in Scheme)
                                  was designed to emulate the behaviour of Lambda Calculus. And later
                                  languages such as Perl 5 and XSL inherited the lexical scoping.

                                  So, lexical scoping could not have been possible without lambda calculus,
                                  and it is very convenient, besides.

                                  This is just a simple example. In fact, learning LC can give one a lot of
                                  insights about functional programming and programming in general.

                                  > In TAU, btw, students are introduced to lambda calculus in their first year,
                                  > discrete math course.

                                  Very interesting. When I learned Lambda Calculus, I managed to do so only
                                  becuase I used the Scheme behaviour as an analogy, and thought about
                                  executing lambdas as executing functions.

                                  Since in TAU, students are introduced to programming (in Scheme) in their
                                  second semester, it means that they are not yet as ready as they can be to
                                  learn about lambda calculus. I realize LC was invented before there were
                                  computers powerful enough to execute it, but sometimes it is better to
                                  approach a topic based on a future development.

                                  From what Omer Mussaev told me and from my impression, they place a lot of
                                  focus on Lambda Calculus in BGU. But I think even they teach programming
                                  proper, before they teach LC.

                                  > Needless to say, I was the only one who liked the idea.

                                  I can understand why... Introducing LC to someone who doesn't know
                                  programming is like explaining the Theory of Relativity to someone who
                                  isn't familiar with Newtonian physics. Possible, but un-advised.