The "Lena" Image - Another "Playboy" Connection

    Message 1 of 3 , May 4 1:50 AM
      In the course "Image Processing and Analysis" which I am taking at the
      Technion at the present semester, we constantly see and work with an image
      called Lena. It consists of the face and shoulders of a woman wearing a
      hat.

      My course-mate and I were given this image in a Matlab internal format as
      part of our assignment, but since we needed to view it in an image touchup
      program, we looked for it on the web. Thus, we discovered the following
      pages:

      http://www.eso.org/~ndevilla/lena.html - there's a picture here
      http://in.yahoo.com/Computers_and_Internet/Graphics/Lena_Image/ - links to
      several pages about her.

      Not already did we find the image (which was 2*2 the size of what we were
      given, but also looked much better), but we found out that it was taken
      out of a 1972 Playboy centerfold. Of course, there is nothing pronographic
      about the image itself, because it is only a small part of it. It was also
      converted to black and white.

      In any case, this image is a standard in the image processing industry and
      appears in almost every article in the topic. There are some interesting
      bits and pieces about it, so I suggest you read the web pages.

      My friend and I so far completed three tasks with the image. The first one
      was to split the frame into four parts and have each display a smaller
      Lena. The second was to blur her face. The third was to show the face
      clearly and to have a fade effect extending from it.

      Although we had to write a very small amount of code (thanks to Matlab's
      bulk operations on vectors and matrixes), it took us quite some time,
      because getting things right, requires a lot of thought as well as
      tweaking the code until you get the right result.

      Just thought it might interest you.

      A more experienced programmer does not make less bugs. He just realizes
      what went wrong more quickly.
      Message 2 of 3 , May 4 7:51 AM
        On Fri, May 04, 2001, Shlomi Fish wrote about "[hackers-il] The "Lena" Image - Another "Playboy" Connection":

        > In the course "Image Processing and Analysis" which I am taking at the
        > Technion at the present semester, we constantly see and work with an image
        > called Lena. It consists of the face and shoulders of a woman wearing a
        > hat.
        >..
        > Not already did we find the image (which was 2*2 the size of what we were
        > given, but also looked much better), but we found out that it was taken
        > out of a 1972 Playboy centerfold. Of course, there is nothing pronographic
        > about the image itself, because it is only a small part of it. It was also
        > converted to black and white.

        I wonder what would happen if instead of doing the excercise on the original
        part, you do it on the entire image. I would love to see the expression on
        the TA checking this excercise when he (hoping that it is a "he") sees the
        result :)

        Actually, I'm quite surprised the clip you show is actually used... It's
        quite obvious that it is a part of a nude picture! I know no actual nudity
        is seen, but neither is any clothes (except the hat ;)), and I would say
        using such a picture isn't very politically-correct...

        BTW, Chen, I'm sure that by now you regret having brought up the subject
        of women on the web :)

        --
        Nadav Har'El | Friday, May 4 2001, 11 Iyyar 5761
        Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Hospitality: Making your guests feel at
        Message 3 of 3 , May 5 12:29 AM
          On Fri, 4 May 2001, Nadav Har'El wrote:

          > On Fri, May 04, 2001, Shlomi Fish wrote about "[hackers-il] The "Lena" Image - Another "Playboy" Connection":
          > >
          > > In the course "Image Processing and Analysis" which I am taking at the
          > > Technion at the present semester, we constantly see and work with an image
          > > called Lena. It consists of the face and shoulders of a woman wearing a
          > > hat.
          > >..
          > > Not already did we find the image (which was 2*2 the size of what we were
          > > given, but also looked much better), but we found out that it was taken
          > > out of a 1972 Playboy centerfold. Of course, there is nothing pronographic
          > > about the image itself, because it is only a small part of it. It was also
          > > converted to black and white.
          >
          > I wonder what would happen if instead of doing the excercise on the original
          > part, you do it on the entire image. I would love to see the expression on
          > the TA checking this excercise when he (hoping that it is a "he") sees the
          > result :)

          Actually, one of the specifications of the exercise is that we do it on
          the images we were given. If we want, we can do it on other images, but
          what we are supposed to hand in should be on that.

          BTW, the Matlab exercises do not contribute to the mark this semester.

          > Actually, I'm quite surprised the clip you show is actually used... It's
          > quite obvious that it is a part of a nude picture! I know no actual nudity
          > is seen, but neither is any clothes (except the hat ;)), and I would say
          > using such a picture isn't very politically-correct...

          The problem is that Image Processing experts are already too used to
          seeing it, that its origin becomes irrelevant. Switching the entire Image
          Processing world to a different clip would be a hopeless task.

          It's not the only picture that most aritcles show, but most articles
          contain it in addition to the other images.

          > BTW, Chen, I'm sure that by now you regret having brought up the subject
          > of women on the web :)

          Actually, I did not mean to offend anyone, just to bring a curious nuance.
          And besides, from my experience on mailing-list threads, it's hard to
          tell in advance where they will divert to. But there is a tendendcy to
          focus on a side issue rather than the issue that the opening message was
          trying to address.