FW: Software development tools for Linux

  • Omer Musaev
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2001

      As many of us know, Linux is full with software development tools.
      However, how useful those tools are for a developer?
        I tend to state that Linux lacks IDE.
      Many people will disagree - for example, in some cases emacs can be used as the only interface
      to all development tools used. In other, it is the Unix environment itself - source editing is done with $EDITOR,
      version control with CVS, compilations are run in a terminal window and programs are debugged in DDD.

      However, how many glitches in code should be avoided by using tools that are integrated better than
      X-windows + many programs and cover more aspects of code construction than emacs?

      This question bothers me quite a log time.
       I did development using vi+terminal metaphor and using emacs+terminal and using emacs without terminal
      and using emacs + refactoring facilities and using emacs and a commercial IDE for Linux. However, there is
      no silver bullets - each way has its own advantages and its own pitfalls.

      I would like to hear more opinions on the matter.
      What are your preferred ways of development, and what do you gain by using those?
      Do you think that customizing environment increases productivity?

      P.S. Currently I do development with Xemacs 21 + gtk and Sniff+ Penguin IDE for project/code management.

      --
      Omer Mussaev
      Mercury Interactive / Topaz Prism R&D