5191Re: [hackers-il] Algorithm for randomly choosing a question

  • Amit Aronovitch
    Jul 7 2:48 PM

      On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 12:38 AM, Amit Aronovitch <aronovitch@...> wrote:

      On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 12:28 AM, Amit Aronovitch <aronovitch@...> wrote:

      On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 9:06 AM, Om er Zak <w1@...> wrote:
      On Sat, 2012-07-07 at 08:20 +0300, Ori Idan wrote:
      [... description of the problem was snipped ...]
      >         My wish is to have an algorithm which requires only bounded
      >         number of
      >         computations of random numbers (i.e. no loop) to accomplish
      >         the above.
      >         Assume that N is large, so keeping lists of questions in
      >         memory is ruled
      >         out.

      (rather long, but nicely written and not hard to follow)

      Whoops, missed the "N is large" thing (so O(n) memory might be too high, even if you just keep weights...). Still, a nice read to share.
      I guess there's no escape from trading some memory for the time improvement...

      sent before completed (whoops again)...

      I ment: you do not have to store weights of ALL the questions, just for the questions the user had seen (and you have to store a list of these anyway). Since you know how many the user had already chosen, and the sum of their weights - first choose (using a single dart) whether you want a question from the seen set, or the unseen one (which is supposedly much larger). If the larger is chosen, choose uniformly. If the smaller (stored) set is selected, choose using the alias method or some simpler alternative.

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic