4385RE: [hackers-il] blog recommendation.

  • Tzahi Fadida
    Jun 4, 2005
      > [mailto:hackers-il@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Muli Ben-Yehuda
      > On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 06:43:20PM +0200, Tzahi Fadida wrote:
      > > But a more interesting question is how does a blog
      > > reflect on you on the business side.
      > Well, that depends on what you write on it, does it not?

      Of course, but some things that seem acceptable to some would
      not be to others. If you censor yourself, I am not sure its really
      worth it.

      > > I mean, you don't see executives put out blogs
      > > or persons in similar positions.
      > Wrong. http://blogs.sun.com/jonathan,
      > http://blogs.redhat.com/executive/, to name just two examples.

      I looked at jonathan from sun blog and it reminds me a company
      brochure. I am not sure even if he does the writing.
      Most probable is that they have a PR guy to do that.
      Contrary to that, the redhat blog seem more credible like a real person
      wrote it. He even wrote about his wife crismas presents.
      Though I think it would be more acceptible In the open community for
      executives to hold a blog :) redhat included.

      > > The image that is portrayed thru the blog could maybe debilitate
      > > future promotions that require a certain image.
      > ... or it could facilitate that promotion. Depends on what
      > and how you write.

      That's always true although I personally prefer to use the telephone
      to call friends and past co workers to get a job or to refer someone.
      Or preferably meet to discuss in person.

      > > For example, in my test blog I wrote that I like ALIAS
      > > tv show, and discuss it casually. Some people discuss
      > > their dates etc...
      > Some people discuss their work, some people use it to bounce
      > ideas off people, some use it to exert influence.
      > > Another thing is that even if you decide to quit google and similar
      > > cache engines will reveal your past posts even if you don't
      > want too.
      > > Although a nice feature in livejournal is to request respectable
      > > search engines from caching your blog (using META tags).
      > Anyone can read what you write on the net. DOn't like it -
      > don't participate.

      I like it and I do want to participate, thats not the problem.
      I am guessing the answer is somewhere along the lines of
      who you are and how much an open person are you.
      I've beeing reading some of the planet hamakor blogs lately
      and there is a diversity of approaches there to writing a blog.
      I guess I just have to pick one or create your own (prefferable).