3961Re: [hackers-il] Offfftopic answer

  • omer mussaev
    Nov 1, 2004
      --- guy keren <choo@...> wrote:

      > On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Evgeny Gesin wrote:
      >
      > > > A good explenation of what is J2EE and it's
      > relationship
      > > > to Java will be appropriate here I think.
      > >
      > > Basically Java is made up of:
      > >
      > > J2SE - Java Standard Edition (standard APIs + GUI)
      >
      > that's not all. there's a large run-time library
      > that goes with this, with
      > things related to "general purpose" programming -
      > such as strings
      > manipulation, data collections, multi-threading
      > primitives, properties
      > handling, etc, etc, etc. unlike C++, java is the OS,
      > so it has to supply
      > all the things that are normally supplied by the
      > operating system and its
      > code libraries.
      >
      > > J2EE - Java Enterprise Edition (APIs to work with
      > Enterprise backends,
      > > such as databases, emails, etc)

      J2EE takes the notion of OS further. No J2EE app
      lives by itself, but rather is deployed in some kind
      of "application server/container". The "server"
      provides all novel features, such as load balancing,
      "hot-deploying", logging, transactions, centralized
      configuration, falut-tolerance, ease of use and
      web framework. The app itself uses all that features
      as a black box and contains business logic only.

      This kind of technology should appeal to anyone who's
      determined to make one with a lots of data to swallow
      pay a lot for ability to swallow that data fast.

      > and the EJB thingi ("enterprise java beans" - not
      > that i am aware of
      > non-enterprise java beans...).

      Non-enterprise java beans are part of past.
      These were the first attempts to create
      component-based computing. It started with
      the observation that once a component is created,
      it can be self describing as long as it adhers to
      certain interface. Actually, this is quite correct as
      well for certainly non-Java technologies - such as
      ELF.

      These beans were used for self-contained UI widgets.
      These beans are remembered now in Java by "bean
      syntax" which forces one to manipulate attributes by
      setter methods with standartized names -
      setFoo(newFoo)
      and getFoo().

      It's quite amazing to actually meet application that
      was written before all that standartization took place

      - amazing for pretty painful value of amazing.

      > one can go to sun's java web site, and see the APIs
      > available for J2SE and
      > the APIs available for J2EE (which is a super-set of
      > J2SE, btw). this is
      > all very annoying when you're developing with J2EE
      > (which is, frankly,
      > what everyone does unless they work with J2ME, or
      > write java applets,
      > perhaps).
      >
      > now comes questions such as:
      >
      > 1. is RMI part of J2SE or J2EE?

      J2SE.

      > 2. is the CORBA intergratoin part of J2SE or J2EE?

      Ditto.

      > etc.

      A rule of thumb is if you can not pronounce the name
      of a technology, it's J2EE. JMX and JMS are noteworty
      exception.

      > > J2ME - Java Micro Edition (APIs to program mobile
      > devices, such phone,
      > > PDAs, etc)
      > >
      > > What about astronomy? Is anyone interested? :)
      >
      > if it's about how to hack a small telescope in order
      > to see the moons of
      > jupiter, then just shoot.
      >
      > are we having fun yet?

      Kinda.

      I would like still to discuss the dissassembly output
      for PowerPC, if you don't mind....

      =====
      --
      o.m.