2466Re: Cryptic Opinions [was RE: Ways to do it - Take 2]

    May 15 12:05 AM
      On Wed, 15 May 2002, Adi Stav wrote:

      > On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 08:46:21AM +0300, Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote:
      > > On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 08:05:35AM +0300, Shlomi Fish wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I fail to understand the two of you. First Guy gives me a cryptic message
      > > > about "lack of replies". I cannot deduce from it his opinion or what
      > > > he
      >
      > Muli answered, but since we're deep in meta-land I thought I'd represent
      > an alternative view.
      >
      > > Let us assume that each message sent to the list, N people read. Past
      > > experience shows that a certain percent of those N people, which we
      > > shall denote by n, reply to the message. We can postulate that if a
      > > message is interesting, n will be relatively large.
      >
      > For me, this was not the case. The original message was not
      > un-interesting -- on the contrary, I found it mildly amusing (which
      > is good - it's better than most of the supposedly amusing stuff I read
      > on the internet). Other people might have a different taste. But I found
      > in the post nothing of interest to REPLY to. There was nothing for me to
      > say anything about, and if I am to judge by the reactions, neither did
      > anyone else.

      OK. But a "nice" or "very nice" or "not bad" could go a long way. It's
      like giving a lecture, and nobody asks any questions. One cannot tell if
      they understand it or not.

      > Now, this is a discussion group. I don't find anything inherently wrong
      > with standalone presentations of wit, but in the end of the day something
      > had better contribute towards good old fashioned discussion threads, at
      > least on hackers-il.

      I don't see it solely as a discussion group. It's also a place for
      announcements, URLs, (like you said) hacks, and whatever else is
      considered on-topic here. I believe this thread could have started a
      discussion. Obviously I don't know many languages enough to parody them
      the way I intended (pardon the pun), so people could have added more, or
      added more entries to the list.

      > Your SECOND post, on the other hand, was quite annoying, because
      > essentially it placed the blame of not finding discussion interest in
      > your post on US. You should look in yourself instead, and try to estimate
      > possible reactions.

      I did not try to put the blame on you. I was simply afraid that the
      meta-thread of all those "wanna-be hackers" people shadowed my original
      post as people were too involved in it. I was just trying to get some
      discussion (or expression of opinions) going. Sorry if you were offended
      in the process.

      > If you use the list as body of critics for your work
      > then you chose the wrong place, because you will need to be more and
      > more aggressive just to actually get this criticism, and this criticism
      > will therefore tend to be more and more artificially negative. Sounds
      > familiar?

      Understood. Do you know any computer forum where I can post such jokes and
      get some reactions and commentary instead?