2465Re: Cryptic Opinions [was RE: Ways to do it - Take 2]

      On 15 May 2002, Gilad Ben-Yossef wrote:

      > On Wed, 2002-05-15 at 08:05, Shlomi Fish wrote:
      > >
      > > I fail to understand the two of you. First Guy gives me a cryptic message
      > > about "lack of replies". I cannot deduce from it his opinion or what he
      > > thinks the opinions of the list are. Then, Arik says "hear hear". And
      > > again, I cannot deduce his opinion about Guy's opinion, his opinion about
      > > Guy's opinion about the list's opinions, or his opinion about the original
      > > posting.
      >
      > Shlomi,
      >
      > Have you ever considered taking a Turing test? ;-)

      <sarcasm>
      Sure I did. I sat at one point of an IRC channel, and someone
      tested me. Eventually it was discovered that I am a computer, but it
      turned out the other side was an Eliza program. Strangely enough, I could
      not detect that the latter fact was true.
      </sarcasm>

      Does this answer your question? Do you qualify naive or
      common-sense-deprived as computer-like? Is the human mind not
      a Turing-complete computer? Aren't humans equivalent to computers
      according to Church's Thesis? Would it be possible for a human to make it
      look like he is a computer? (say, by replying "yes" all the time)

      There is no IGLU Cabal! None of them could pass the Turing test. But
      stranegely enough a computer program they coded, could.