1905Re: Re: Perl 5 TNG

    Feb 12, 2002
      On 12 Feb 2002, Oleg Goldshmidt wrote:

      > Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> writes:
      >
      > > On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Omer Zak wrote:
      >
      > > > Then, the first priority will be a mechanism for interlingual binding.
      > > > Something like what they claim that MS .NET claims to support.
      > >
      > > Parrot (http://www.parrotcode.org/) will have a common way to define
      > > bindings to it.
      >
      > Guile?
      >
      > Oh, I forgot, Shlomi wants Perl-based system, not Scheme-based one ;-)

      I beg your pardon? I realize they intended Guile to be a common back-end
      for scripting languages. However, their plan was that every language will
      translate itself into Scheme. Parrot has a common, relatively language
      neutral but nonetheless high-level assembly-like bytecode. Then, one
      compiles Perl, Python, Scheme, LISP, whatever, into this bytecode.

      I'm not sure how well or smoothly P5TNG will compile into Scheme. Not to
      mention that Guile does not give me all the system services I'd like P5TNG
      to have, while Parrot will support everything Perl5 has.