1891Re: [hackers-il] Re: Perl 5 TNG

  • Adi Stav
    Feb 11, 2002
      On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 09:20:08PM +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:
      > On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Adi Stav wrote:
      > > On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 01:48:33PM +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Python was intended as a better Perl,
      > >
      > > Nitpick: Python was intended as a better ABC, with Modula-3
      > > influences. It was written in 1989 when Perl 1.0 was still mostly
      > > an unknown language in the world.
      > >
      > Actually, when Python came out in 1990, Perl 3 was out. Check:
      > http://history.perl.org/PerlTimeline.html

      Python was originally written in Christmas 1989, which is the time
      most important for deciding what it was originally intended for.
      According to Guido van Rossum, it was originally intended as the
      native scripting language for Amoeba OS, building on his experience
      with ABC and Modula-3. Looks like Perl 3.0 indeed had just been
      released, though. See Python FAQ.

      > I don't know how well known it was at that time. In any case, the
      > statement is a bit incorrect because Perl and Python have influenced each
      > other in some kind of spiralling way. At least from my impression. But as
      > long as Guido von Rossum, Moshe Zadka and you, think Python is a superior
      > language to Perl, and me and several others disagree we are set.

      I never said it was superior. I've said in the past I thought it
      was better as a first language, though. I haven't worked enough
      with either language to be able to make such an encompassing
      statement as "a superior language".

      > I think that in the Perl culture, people don't care too much if one uses
      > Perl, Python, Tcl, etc. as long as he knows the joy of using a
      > full-featured, fully integrated scripting language. Python people OTOH are
      > too occupied with converting people _from Perl_ to Python. But that's just
      > my impression.

      Looking at the Python mailing list threads from some to time, it's
      sometimes surprising how little they speak of Perl, least of all
      critically. When they do look at other languages it's more often
      Java and Scheme. I think Perl's influence on Python, although
      significant, is overrated.

      I don't know how significant was Python's influence on Perl. I've
      heared it said that Perl borrowed Python's object model but I
      don't know how accurate that is.
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic