2001-31: MND Press release - Deferment of reclamation works at Tanjung Chek Jawa!

  • N. Sivasothi
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 20 4:08 AM
      Current nature-related news busy Singaporeans might otherwise miss
      More information and archives at: <http://habitatnews.nus.edu.sg>
      Contents

      Hi everyone,

      The Ministry of National Development (MND) has issued some
      wonderful news today. Chek Jawa has been granted a reprieve!
      The press release is listed below in full.

      The existence of Chek Jawa was a sudden revelation, and many
      Singaporeans first saw the site only in late 2001. Yet at
      the 11th hour, the government has announced that reclamation
      plans first described in the URA Concept Plan of 1991 are
      now being deferred to consider 'how best the marine life there
      can be protected'.

      The MND acknowledged groups and individuals who had provided
      'detailed and insightful feedback' and I can at least offer
      thanks to the numerous untiring souls I know of such as
      Joseph Lai, Ria Tan, members of the Nature Society (Singapore)
      and staff, students and volunteers of the National
      University of Singapore.

      There are others whose efforts I am unaware of but who have
      also contributed constructively to this process. Thanks to
      them too.

      Behind this decision are many dedicated officers in the
      Ministry, National Parks Board, Housing & Development Board
      and the Urban Redevelopment Authority. An announcement such
      as this reflects months of work that has gone on behind the
      scenes and several site visits to Chek Jawa.

      In the past few months, a few hundreds have been rushing down
      each weekend or holiday for their last chance to see to
      Chek Jawa. Our footprints alone have left considerable impact.
      With the reprieve, it is now a chance to let Chek Jawa recover
      for the months and years ahead.

      All of you are now urged to reduce your visits to Chek Jawa
      and to spread the word about the reprieve and the need to let
      Chek Jawa recover. In the meantime, NParks will initiate
      a system to manage the flow of visitors.

      The MND press release ends with the statement, "We seek the
      co-operation of the public to protect the habitats and to
      ensure the long-term enjoyment of this natural heritage."

      On 10th November, Mr Mah Bow Tan announced that the previously
      unprotected Sungei Buloh Nature Park and Labrador Nature Area
      would be legislated under the National Parks Act.

      Today, he has sprung another surprise.

      I guess a lot of us are smiling. Happy New Year everyone!

      MINISTRY OF NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT PRESS RELEASE
      <http://app.internet.gov.sg/data/sprinter/pr/weekly/2001122003.htm>

      DEFERMENT OF RECLAMATION WORKS AT TANJUNG CHEK JAWA

      1 The Ministry of National Development (MND) has decided to defer the
      reclamation works at Tanjung Chek Jawa originally slated for end of 2001.
      This will allow MND to discuss with relevant experts on how best the marine
      life there can be protected. Chek Jawa is located at the eastern tip of
      Pulau Ubin.

      2 Groups and individuals with special interest in Tanjung Chek Jawa have
      given MND detailed and insightful feedback since the area was first brought
      to public attention at the URA Public Dialogue on the Concept Plan 2001 this
      year.

      3 The decision to defer the reclamation works at Chek Jawa comes after
      MND has carefully considered all public submissions and also following
      extensive consultations among various government agencies including the
      Urban Redevelopment Authority, the National Parks Board (NParks), the
      Housing and Development Board. MND has also consulted with marine life
      experts from the National University of Singapore and other institutions and
      societies.

      4 This afternoon, Mr Mah Bow Tan, Minister for National Development, met
      with some representatives of nature and biodiversity groups and some members
      of public who have shown strong interest in protecting the marine life in
      this area. The meeting was called to discuss the best option to protect the
      marine life at Chek Jawa. More details will be announced later after
      studying the various options.

      5 With the deferment of the reclamation works, the immediate need is to
      conserve biodiversity and prevent further deterioration of the mudflats and
      injury to the marine organisms. Hence, we wish to advise members of the
      public that there is no longer an urgent need to rush to visit Chek Jawa.

      6 NParks will put in place a system to manage the flow of visitors during
      low tide. Visitors will be advised to keep to the designated routes and
      refrain from collecting any plants or animals. NParks is also exploring
      with nature and bio-diversity groups to provide guides. NParks will release
      more details at a later date.

      7 We seek the co-operation of the public to protect the habitats and to
      ensure long-term enjoyment of this natural heritage.

      For media enquiries, please contact:
      Mr Soo Siew Keong, Assistant Director, Public Affairs/MND
      Tel: 325 7222 or HP: 97700669

      ISSUED BY
      MINISTRY OF NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT