Radical democracy in Iraq

  • matthew_piscioneri
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2003
      [You wrote]

      > This problem has everything to do with unresolved conflicts in the
      > Hegelian concept of theory (reflecting influence up to today in the
      > schizophrenic character of 'post/progressivist' thinking) of which
      > JH's reconstructive effort in his _The Philosophical Discourse of
      > Modernity_ is intended to resolve. JH's conclusion is that the
      > paradigm of consciousness in the philosophy of the subject is
      > exhausted and should be replaced by a pragmatic communication
      > framework and Reason interpreted as communicative action. I
      > agree.

      Isn't habermas's project at least as susceptible to dialectical

      Mind you his *ambitious* heart appears to me to be in the right
      place. The extent of ethical democratic *imperialism* in the present
      realpolitik would seem to be to guarantee an election in Iraq. The
      most you can do for your brother or sister is to give them the
      opportunity to make up their own consciousness. Democracy is very