Re: U.N. Wants Universities to Help Foster Development

  • Matthew
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 2, 2010
      Dear Gary,

      this is heartening news and to some degree speaks to the *heart* of the issue we have been examining of late. Thank you for the news. I intend to respond shortly to your insightful post/s...actually, if (I obtain funding) I intend to base a paper at the World Universities Forum in Hong Kong on our recent dialogue!

      A doctoral candidate of mine (from Indonesia) is seeking to apply a Habermasian perspective to the issue of Islam and Modernity...it is inspiring to see the ongoing dissemination of Habermas's work in a variety of spheres/fields of inquiry. If anyone has undertaken similar or knows of similar projects I would be keen to hear? An interesting starting place I guess would be Habermas's 1990s dialogue in Iran.

      I am presently engaged in the processes of helping to facilitate the Australian Southern Sudanese diaspora participation in their Separation/Unity Referendum. One unexpected outcome of this engagement is the idea welcomed by senior GoSS leadership members of developing a "social sciences" Conference in Juba, Southern Sudan in later 2011 or early 2012. I can think of no better theme than "Communicative Action in Africa" and no better community than this one in which to commence planning. So, I guess, an open invitation I guess to all on the List to form a transnational conference planning taskforce of Habermasians to help get this project off the ground! Thematically, the construal, management and implementation of productive/emancipatory (undistorted?) "dialogue" recommends itself immediately as a key motif, especially in relation to processes of peace and reconciliation.

      all the best,

      matthew

      --- In habermas@yahoogroups.com, "Gary E. Davis" <philosophy@...> wrote:

      > from the NY Times: www.academicimpact.org
      >
      > The United Nations announced last week the formation of a global initiative to involve the academic world in the organization’s work. The project, called the United Nations Academic Impact, will hold its first conference on Dec. 15 in Asturias, Spain. The initiative will include more than 500 institutions from more than 90 countries. A full list can be found at www.academicimpact.org.
      >
      > Each of the institutions has committed to 10 principles taken from the United Nations Charter, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the Millennium Development Goals. The 10 principles cover human rights, literacy, sustainability, citizenship, economic stability and conflict resolution. Each institution is expected to plan at least one project yearly related to these principles.
      >
      > The U.N. secretary general, Ban Ki-moon, who spoke at the announcement of the initiative Nov. 18 at the U.N. headquarters in New York, said, “By sharing ideas, across borders and disciplines, we can find solutions to the interconnected problems that cause so much suffering.”
      >

      > .

    • Jeremy J. Shapiro
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 8, 2010
        On the Colbert Report tonight, Stephen Colbert used the phrase "a
        Habermasian twist". He was doing a monologue in which he was
        parodying hyper-intellectual art criticism.

        Jeremy