Ritual and sincerity/authenticity

  • Gary E. Davis
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 11, 2010
      I would like to presume that all subscribers receive the quarterly Table of Contents of _Philosophy & Social Criticism_, but...

      January 2010
      Special Issue: Ritual and/or Sincerity
      http://psc.sagepub.com/content/vol36/issue1/

      To subscribe to Table of Contents alerts, go to:
      http://psc.sagepub.com/cgi/alerts

      You can see complete issue contents online through many university libraries that subscribe to Sage Online.

      I don't suppose that the issue relates to Habermas directly, but the issue of genuineness in the validity basis of speech *is* directly informed by attending to issues of sincerity and authenticity.

      For my part, I think of genuineness as a presentational matter of perception (a matter of showing), sincerity as the intentional (or self-representational) aspect of perceivable genuineness, and authenticity as the general existential basis of (or capability for) presentational credibility.

      I haven't yet seen the P&SC issue, but the difference between sincerity/genuineness and authenticity is quite real, like the difference between living a life and acting relative to present, scenic concerns are different.

      Gary