"Political Theory - Habermas and Rawls"

  • Gary E. Davis
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2009
      I have to say that Thomas Gregersen is doing a great service by all the posting he does via his blog:

      http://habermas-rawls.blogspot.com/

      I'm glad that he's scoping rather widely to include resources that are in the general topography of Habermas and Rawls, not strictly pertaining to them, e.g., including A. Sen, R. Dworkin, and others. His blog seems to intend to be a general resource in political theory.

      I'm delighted that Judith Butler is going to be on the same stage with Habermas, early October. I hope this causes her to give more attention to his work and to feminist readers of his work:

      http://habermas-rawls.blogspot.com/2009/08/conference-at-nyu-on-rethinking.html

      (I'm actually unaware how aware of Habermas' work she is, since I'm not very attracted to her work; but she's quite popular, evidently.)

      Last note: I'd like to know why it's not redundant to say "political theology," since, it seems to me, that theology *is* a politics in conception (a conceptualization of just authority, as well as an ideology *for* politics outside of theology proper). To say that theology is a science is to say that it's a kind of *political* science. It seems to me that Habermas' upcoming lecture should he titled "'The Politicsl' - The Rational Sense of a Questionable Inheritance of Theology."

      Gary

      P.S. Ok, that wasn't the last of me: For all the admiration a reader here has for Habermas (and influence by him), it's regrettable to note how thin his influence is in the U.S. in mainstream philosophy, which I was reminded of today in coming across David Copp's _Morality, Normativity, and Society_, (Oxford, 1995). There is no mention of Habermas, though the first words of his "Preface" are: "The main idea of society-centered moral theory first occurred to me almost fifteen years ago [which would have been circa 1980], during a hike...in the mountains....Since then I have benefited from the encouragement and criticisms of many people." Sigh....I've had a little hobby over the decades: When I see a book that is directly relevant to the work Habermas has been doing, I look in the "Index" to see how much coverage is given to Habermas. Amazingly little mention of Habermas has been made over the decades, and amazingly passing mention is the commonplace when
      he is mentioned---mentions at the level of a biographical dictionary synopsis, often as if no one read anything besides _Transformation of the Public Sphere_. Copp doesn't surprise me, actually: He studied with David Lewis and has been wrestling with moral realism. But the first chapter of his book is titled "A Cognitivist Theory of Normative Judgment." No Kohlberg, no Habermas in his "References" or "Index".