Center for Deliberative Democracy

  • Gary E. Davis
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 17, 2009
      James Fishkin, Director of the Center for Deliberative Democracy, writes recently about putting deliberative democracy into practice, which "his" Center does:

      "Town Halls by Invitation"
      NY Times, August 16, 2009
      http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/16/opinion/16fishkin.html

      The Center provides many resources on deliberative democracy:

      "Research Papers"
      http://cdd.stanford.edu/research/

      Fishkin was attempting to apply Critical Theory to public policy way back in the mid-90s, if I recall correctly. I believe that the Center provides an excellent way to apply deliberative theory.

      Gary

      .

    • Gary E. Davis
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 21, 2009
        In case it matters to anyone, it was Frank Fischer, not James Fishkin, who sought to implement Critical Theory in public policy, not in the mid-90s, but more recently:

        Reframing Public Policy: discursive politics and deliberative practices
        Frank Fischer
        Oxford 2003

        All the better actually: another deliberative-democracy theorist, with James Bohman (and Habermas, of course), who complements facilitation of deliberative participatory citizenship.

        Gary

        NY Times, August 16, 2009

        http://www.nytimes com/2009/ 08/16/opinion/ 16fishkin. html

        The Center provides many resources on deliberative democracy:

        "Research Papers"

        http://cdd.stanford .edu/research/

        Fishkin was attempting to apply Critical Theory to public policy way back in the mid-90s, if I recall correctly. I believe that the Center provides an excellent way to apply deliberative theory.

        Gary

        .

        Recent Activity

        Visit Your Group