Habermas birthday

  • Jeremy J. Shapiro
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 19, 2009
      Happy Habermas's Birthday!

      Jeremy
    • Matthew Piscioneri
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 24, 2009
        At the List's discretion, perhaps Habermas's belief in the basic human interest in emancipation can also be celebrated in our acknowledgement and support for the 2009 Iranian Revolution.

        Matthew Piscioneri

        --- In habermas@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy J. Shapiro" <jshapiro@...> wrote:

        > Happy Habermas's Birthday!
        >
        > Jeremy

      • Kenneth MacKendrick
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 24, 2009
          Matt,

          The people on the streets of Iran are not revolutionaries (see the
          writings of Ganji and Ebadi). The call is for democratic reform. This is
          neither a revolution nor a coup, the goal of the protests are to bring
          about another election. Should the Guardian Council decide to suspend or
          eliminate the democratic elements in Iran, then the situation may change
          - but only if it is crystal clear to all that democracy under this
          regime no longer has a future in Iran. Until that point, which is
          unlikely given the past sensitivity that the Guardian Council has to the
          international reputation of Iran, the rallies and marches aim not to
          topple the Supreme Leader or the Guardian Council but to create the
          conditions for a fair election. With this may come, if successful,
          further democratic reforms. In a broader sense most people seem to want
          a new relationship between religion and politics, a new religious identity.

          Regardless of the outcome, we have witnessed the birth of a new and
          widespread democratic / religious movement in Iran that will play a
          significant role in Iran's future... and we're only in the early stages
          at this point. Thursday may be decisive as it will mark the end of a
          third day of mourning for those killed.

          best,
          Ken