Detranscendentalization of the use of reason, take 3

  • Gary E. Davis
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3 11:22 AM
      Maybe one reason that _Between Naturalism & Religion_ didn't become available until three years after the German edition is that an editor wondered whether there was a need for a third instance of JH's essay written in honor of Thomas McCarthy, an essay with a now-shortened title "Communicative Action and the Detranscendentalized 'Use of Reason'."

      I'm being facetious, of course. But the point, as well as the third appearance in English of the essay, emphasizes the importance that the essay has for JH. But let not that stop some readers from continuing to find some essentialist sense of 'transcendental' (or The Transcendental) in JH's thinking.

      I mention this largely to express that I don't consider this email list dead and to indicate that the book is available this week in the U.S.

      Gary

      .