Is Charles Taylor's _A Secular Age_ a great complement to Habermas' career?

  • Gary E. Davis
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2007
      Though Charles Taylor barely mentions Habermas in the 896 pages (gasp!) of his just-published _A Secular Age_ (Harvard UP), his intellectual history of secularity appears to me (from reading his long, programmatic "Introduction") to be a great, accessible complement to Habermas' moral solidarity with religion in the public sphere---diachronic (Taylor) with synchronic (JH)?

      A SECULAR AGE
      http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog/TAYSEC.html

      Writes _Publishers Weekly_ (at Amazon.com—I have the book, but quoting PW is reliably easier) "... Challenging the idea that the secular takes hold in a world where religion is experienced as a loss or where religions are subtracted from the culture, Taylor discovers the secular emerging in the midst of the religious." The keynote here is Taylor's animus against a negative dialectic in theory of secularization.

      It seems to me that Taylor is seeking to explicate our *historically shared* devotion to finding spiritual/humanistic "fullness" (his central notion, apparently) in life, that binds plural modernizations with the history of religious pluralism in north Atlantic societies (his geographical focus). By seeking to eventually explicate a post-secular fullness of life, he claims a third way between "Belief" and anomic dis-Belief which appears to prospect a common ground for the future of cultural pluralism.

      Anyway, Taylor's book is a major contribution to philosophy of modernization. I can't know if I'm exactly right about the complementarity that I'm anticipating, having only read his "Introduction," but I'll find out, eventually.

      gary
      "getting beyond 'a secular age'"
      http://blog.360.yahoo.com/therebeing?p=180

      .